No APM Server detected. Please make sure it is running and you have updated to 7.0 or higher

Hi,
I am trying out ElasticSearch, Kibana and APM for the first time and have been following the following installation documentation:

1. Install Elasticsearch with Debian Package | Elasticsearch Reference [7.11] | Elastic
  2. Install Kibana with Debian package | Kibana Guide [7.11] | Elastic
  3. Repositories for APT and YUM | APM Server Reference [7.11] | Elastic

################################ Elastic Search ####################

network.host: 0.0.0.0
http.port: 9200
action.auto_create_index: .monitoring*,.watches,.triggered_watches,.watcher-history*,.ml*
discovery.seed_hosts: ["127.0.0.1", "[::1]"]
discovery.type: single-node

################################ APM Server #####################

apm-server:
host: "0.0.0.0:8200"
rum:
enabled: true

output:
elasticsearch:
hosts: ["http://192.168.56.105:9200"]

#####################Kibana #####################

server.port: 5601
server.host: "192.168.56.105"
elasticsearch.hosts: ["http://localhost:9200"]

Kibana version: v 7.11.2

Elasticsearch version: 7.11.2

APM Server version: apm-server version 7.11.2

APM Agent language and version:

Browser version: Chrome Version 89.0.4389.90

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version:
Official Links Posted above

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?
Fresh installation

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc.

Nothing special about this setup, it is a standalone DEV machine to check out capabilities of APM.

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

I have performed the installation of the three components i.e. elasticsearch, kibanana and APM 2-3 times on one server and keeping the configuration as simple as I can but I cannot get Observability APM to detect the APM server.

Steps to reproduce:

As per documentation mentioned above.

The installation is on a single Ubuntu 20.04 LTS virtual server. I have also repeated this on Centos 7 but still getting "No APM Server detected"

Any suggestions welcome please.

Thanks

Hi @DGIRI ,
can you check the APM Server logs? You should find them at /var/logs/apm-server if you haven't customized the path (see directory layout). If there is a connection problem between the APM Server and Elasticsearch you should see it in the logs.

Hi @simitt ,
Turns out that when disabling the action below in the elastic search config addressed the issue I encountered. I'll post in some more detail around this shortly.

action.auto_create_index: .monitoring*,.watches,.triggered_watches,.watcher-history*,.ml*

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.