Not able to run elasticsearch: elasticsearch dead but subsys locked

Hi,

I installed elasticsearch 5.5.1. After installation , I was able to run it properly on linux machine. Just, I wanted to access it from my remote windows machine. So, I modified /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml file and updated network.host to IP address. Then I restarted the elasticsearch service using
sudo -i service elasticsearch stop
sudo -i service elasticsearch start

but it failed. When I check status of service using:
sudo -i service elasticsearch status , it says:

elasticsearch dead but subsys locked.

Elasticsearch log says:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: detected index data in default.path.data [/var/lib/elasticsearch] where there should not be any; check the logs for details.

Thanks,

Hi @shashwat,

I believe you are running into this: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/pull/24099

We made it so we double-check whether default.path.data & path.data are set and
hope to verify that we are not writing shard data to both.

Although the network.host setting may have seemed like the culprit, I believe it is how
you are setting path.data that is the problem. Did you run Elasticsearch with default settings, index data, and then change path.data by chance?

Steps for how I reproduce this problem to illustrate using a fresh install of Elasticsearch

1. run Elasticsearch with the default default.data.path, in the package's case it is /var/lib/elasticsearch
bin/elasticsearch -Edefault.path.data=/tmp/data
  1. index data
curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/twitter/tweet/1' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'                                         
{                                
    "user" : "kimchy",           
    "post_date" : "2009-11-15T14:12:12",                          
    "message" : "trying out Elasticsearch"                        
}                                
'
  1. Run Elasticsearch with a data.path that is different to default.data.path, but explicitely set the default path (once again, this is being done for you in the packaging)
bin/elasticsearch -Edefault.path.data=/tmp/data -Epath.data=/tmp/different_path
[2017-08-10T11:20:30,607][INFO ][o.e.n.Node               ] index folder [6td_4mpERZOtJ8DvVyPU4w] in default.path.data [/tmp/data/no$es/0/indices] must be moved to any of [/tmp/different_path/nodes/0/indices] 
[2017-08-10T11:20:30,614][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [] uncaught exception in thread [main]                 
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: detected index data in default.path.data [/tmp/data] $here there should not be any; check the logs for details

Double check you are writing your data to the correct directory

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.