Not enough master nodes/failed to retrieve user

I'm using ElasticSearch 6.8 with 3 Nodes. I have set discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2

I'm trying to test what happens when there is only 1 node online.
I've shut down 2 nodes and I can see the 3rd node goes into: "not enough master nodes discovered during pinging"

Based on: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.8/modules-discovery-zen.html#no-master-block I would expect to still be able to run searches against this node.

This seems to work fine as the Elastic user but if I try as an custom user I get an exception suggesting that the server is trying to connect to another node:
[2021-01-14T15:48:16,669][DEBUG][o.e.a.g.TransportGetAction] [SERVER-A] null: failed to execute [get [.security][doc][user-testuser]: routing [null]]
org.elasticsearch.transport.NodeNotConnectedException: [SERVER-B][192.168.1.10:9300] Node not connected

This suggests that somehow the authentication is depending on the other node.

All nodes are set to:

node.master: true
node.data: true
node.max_local_storage_nodes: 1
node.attr.fault_domain: 0
node.attr.update_domain: 0
cluster.routing.allocation.awareness.attributes: fault_domain,update_domain

The user basically has full access to any indexes with a prefix:

`      ` `"cluster"` `: [` `"all"` `],`

`      ` `"indices"` `: [        {`

`          ` `"names"` `: [`

`            ` `"$($IndexName)_*"`

`          ` `],`

`          ` `"privileges"` `: [`

`            ` `"all"`

`          ` `],`

`          ` `"field_security"` `: {`

`            ` `"grant"` `: [`

`              ` `"*"`

`            ` `]`

`          ` `},`

`          ` `"allow_restricted_indices"` `: false`

`        ` `}`

`      ` `],`

`      ` `"applications"` `: [ ],`

`      ` `"run_as"` `: [ ],`

`      ` `"metadata"` `: { },`

`      ` `"transient_metadata"` `: { ` `"enabled"` `: true }`

`    ` `}`

I'm not sure what could be wrong/why searches are not working?

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

Does the node that is left in the cluster have any of the .security* shards on it at all?

thank you.

indeed the shard is missing from that node. it seems to be related to the dynamic values set for auto_expand_replicas. looking into why that may be.

looking at security-index-template that has "auto_expand_replicas : 0-1", I wonder why that is.

found this which is slightly concerning:

What do I do if data nodes fail to be removed or data fails to be migrated due to the auto_expand_replicas index setting?
Cause: Some users may use the access control feature provided by the X-Pack plug-in. In earlier Elasticsearch versions, this feature applies the "index.auto_expand_replicas" : "0-all" setting to the .security index by default. This causes errors when you migrate data or remove data nodes.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.