"numHits must be > 0; please use TotalHitCountCollector if you just need the total hit count" following upgrade to ES 7.7

Following an upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.7.0 we've started seeing an unusual error with queries used to count the number of documents in an index.

In 7.7.0 this query now returns an error:

curl -X POST '127.0.0.1:9200/v33.tcpevent-000174/_search?pretty' -H content-type:application/json --data '{"size":0,"sort":[{"@timestamp":{"order":"desc"}},{"conn_uuid":{"order":"desc"}}],"track_total_hits":true}'
{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "illegal_argument_exception",
        "reason" : "numHits must be > 0; please use TotalHitCountCollector if you just need the total hit count"
      }
    ],
    "type" : "search_phase_execution_exception",
    "reason" : "all shards failed",
    "phase" : "query",
    "grouped" : true,
    "failed_shards" : [
      {
        "shard" : 1,
        "index" : "v33.tcpevent-000174",
        "node" : "j07kSSNmSFueB_E9i911MQ",
        "reason" : {
          "reason" : "numHits must be > 0; please use TotalHitCountCollector if you just need the total hit count"
        }
      }
    ],
    "caused_by" : {
      "reason" : "numHits must be > 0; please use TotalHitCountCollector if you just need the total hit count",
      "caused_by" : {
      }
    }
  },
  "status" : 400
}

In ES 7.5.1 this was fine and didn't cause an error.

I seem to be able to get rid of the error by specifying a non-zero size, or by changing the sort parameter: i.e. both of these searches work:

{"size":0,"sort":[{"@timestamp":{"order":"desc"}}],"track_total_hits":true}
{"size":1,"sort":[{"@timestamp":{"order":"desc"}},{"conn_uuid":{"order":"desc"}}],"track_total_hits":true}

I suspect this is related to index sort as the index is configured with index sort on {"@timestamp":{"order":"desc"}}

Changing track_total_hits to a specific value gives the same error:

{"size":0,"sort":[{"@timestamp":{"order":"desc"}},{"conn_uuid":{"order":"desc"}}],"track_total_hits":true} # error

It looks to me like this is a bug, though I've tried to reproduce this on a fresh instance with the same mappings and some test data, but it doesn't error in the same way, so will keep looking and try and build a reproducible example.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @toby_jn for raising this, it certainly looks like a bug. It's great that you're working on a consistent reproduction.

In the meantime, would you be able to file a bug report in the elasticsearch repo? That way we can start to dig into the issue as well. In addition to the search and error, it would help to include the index settings and mappings, plus a sample document.

Issue opened here: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/56923

Thanks @toby_jn, I've moved discussion/ debugging over to that issue.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.