One index or seperate indices for logfiles

Hallo,

I'm implementing elasticsearch for storing log-data from different sources. Its log-data from windows dhcp an nps/radius servers but also syslog data from different sources. I have a logstash instance that filters the data and generates a lot of different fields for each source.

Now I have to decide to put the data into one common index or into different indices. At the moment I have the following indices (using ilm):
filebeat-dhcp-{now/d}-00001
filebeat-nps-{now/d}-00001
filebeat-...….
logstash-%{[vendor]}-00001

It would be less work for me to use one common index or only one filebeat and one logstash
index. But this "common" index will contain a large number of fields. Is this a problem for elasticsearch performance? Also I had problems with the 1024-field-limit when upgrading from 6 to 7 so - less fields would be preferable?

Thanks

lcer

Welcome to the forums!

Using ILM and thinking about your index management are definitely very much on the right track and what we'd recommend doing in such a situation.

How many fields are you expecting the common index to have, roughly? Generally I wouldn't have said more fields is such a big problem. I'd have expected 10-20 new fields per log type (dhcp, nps, etc.), with a number of common fields like timestamp. But hitting the 1024 limit is on a different level entirely.

Hallo,

I'd have expected 10-20 new fields per log type (dhcp, nps, etc.), with a number of common fields like timestamp. But hitting the 1024 limit is on a different level entirely.

Yes, it will be about 6-10 types with 10-20 fields. The 1024-problem occured, because I used the preloaded filebeat template - which got larger when I bulk-changed fieldnames.

So - for my setup I should:

• use ILM
  • use my own index template (not one that comes with the installation)

With this I can use one common index for all my logging-stuff. Right?

Regards

lcer

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.