Percentages per day (per bucket) possible?

I have a set of records where each record has (among other fields) a field "spam" for the amount of spam mails received and a field "total_volume" for the amount of mails, received. For each day I have several entries for different mailboxes.

So the data looks something like this:

POST _bulk
{ "index":{"_index":"test"}}
{ "spam":1, "total_volume":   2, "mailbox": "mb1", "date":"2019-01-01"}
{ "spam":1, "total_volume": 100, "mailbox": "mb2", "date":"2019-01-01"}
{ "spam":2, "total_volume":   2, "mailbox": "mb1", "date":"2019-01-02"}
{ "spam":2, "total_volume": 100, "mailbox": "mb2", "date":"2019-01-02"}

I'd like to get a visualization which would show me about 2% for 2019-01-01 and about 4% for 2019-01-02.

What I could achieve, using JSON input

{
"script": {
        "lang":   "painless",
        "inline": "_value * 100 / doc['total_volume'].value"
      }
}

was the average per day, but this results in too high values. For example on 2019-01-01 the high rate of mb1 (50%) is averaged with the 1% of mb2.

So the result is 25.5% for 2019-01-01 and 51% for 2019-01-02 instead of the required 2% and 4%.

I have no clue how I could achieve this.

Example what I used to get the results as a table:

You can try with TSVB and the Math aggregation. Then you should be able to calculate the percentage of spam as "100 * sum(spam)/sum(total_volume)".
Basically create 2 sum metrics, one for spam, one for total_volume.
Then create a math aggregation with the equivalent of the formula that I added above, and then keep just this line visible on the chart.
PS: don't forget to keep the bucket size to 1d.

Thanks for that hint. I already tried it and tried again now. I get a strange error message

[tsvb] > No reason phrase

It gets weird now…

If I put as Expression add(multiply(params.sum_spam,100) , params.sum_total) I get a graph.

If I replace "add" with "divide" => No data to display…

can you try with mathematical signs instead of the functions?

Made no difference, but I managed to solve the issue by using "Bucket script" instead of "Math".

So issue solved thanks to your hints.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.