Permission denied when installing plugin

I have my own plugin that I want to install into a new ubuntu system. I have installed everything using standard settings.

When I run bin/kibana-plugin install file://<zip-file-path> I get the error:

Plugin installation was unsuccessful due to error "EACCES: permission denied, open '/usr/share/kibana/plugins/.plugin.installing/package.json'"

I have really tried to change permissions and everything, but nothing seems to be working. The permissions for my folder /usr/share/kibana folder is drwxrwxr-x and chown says: user:kibana.

When I run the kibana-plugin install command, which user/group are the commands performed using?

I rather not leave my elastic stack open by setting the kibana folder as writable for all users and groups, but am not sure what else I can do at this moment.

You can try doing only the install as root and that way you won't have to make the kibana folder writable.

1 Like

I could, but since I then have to add also the flag --allow-root this cannot be the intended way. There must surely be some other issues related to this.

Maybe a more general question to help could be what user is the kibana-plugin run as? My user or the kibana user that kibana created for me?

How will I be sure that kibana has the right access to load and use my installed plugin afterwards?

Is there no other suggestions why I am getting this error?

Maybe a better idea to start would be what should be my permissions and owner in unix for my /usr/share/kibana folder and all its subfolders? I have setup my kibana and es as a systemctl service. Might be that I maybe wrongly changed some permissions?

This is the current permission for my /usr/share/kibana/ folder:

drwxrwsr-x  12 kibana kibana  4096 Nov 29 15:12 kibana

I had this problem. I found that if you ziped up the plugin in windows it would cause the error. But when I zipped up the plugin in Linux and then installed it worked perfect. It was very weird but it worked for me.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.