PlainElastic Agent Installation

Hello,

I tried to install via zip/tar on either on windows or linux host, both finished and there is a connection to the self managed fleet server. On Windows if i call diagnost I get the message:

Error: failed to fetch agent diagnostics: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = connection error: desc = "transport: Error while dialing open \\.\pipe\elastic-agent-c306b9b82933d8329f46d01a43899d02927d345e5cfb5e0705b7cccc6e075d5d: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Locking into the log I detected the error

Failed reading CA certificate: open /usr/share/elastic-agent/fleet.pem

I tried to pass the certificate via install parameter

install --certificate-authorities='C:\temp\fleet.pem'

with serveral slash option.

If I install the agent with the same certificate all runs perfect.

Clould anyone help?

Regards

Hi @Christian_V Welcome to the community!

It is unclear which approach you are taking Stand Alone or Fleet Managed Agent?

Did you follow the steps in the Guide?
Did you look at the special steps for Configure SSL/TLS for self-managed Fleet Servers

Plus you did not show the detailed installation steps followed and their outputs

Also What kind of Elasticsearch Installation:
Self-Managed with Self-Signed Certs? Self-Managed with Trusted Certificate Authority Certs? Elastic Cloud?

We will need a lot more information to help.

Hi Stephen,

thanks for the first reply.
-> Fleet Manged Agent
-> I followed the steps in the guide as well as fpr TLS. I tried a direct host integration for Windows an Linux Ubuntu with the same problems compared to a container deployment with the same certificate.
Installation steps after download and unzip:

` .\elastic-agent.exe install --certificate-authorities='C:\\temp\\fleet.pem' --tag='dut,dev' --url=https://dut.fleet.ece.krone.group:9243  --enrollment-token=********`
{"log.level":"info","@timestamp":"2023-04-20T17:14:17.540+0200","log.origin":{"file.name":"cmd/enroll_cmd.go","file.line":475},"message":"Starting enrollment to URL: https://dut.fleet.ece.krone.group:9243/","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"info","@timestamp":"2023-04-20T17:14:24.055+0200","log.origin":{"file.name":"cmd/enroll_cmd.go","file.line":273},"message":"Successfully triggered restart on running Elastic Agent.","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
Successfully enrolled the Elastic Agent.
Elastic Agent has been successfully installed.

(tried all slash options) but the diagnostic result is

.\elastic-agent.exe diagnostics
Error: failed to fetch agent diagnostics: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = connection error: desc = "transport: Error while dialing open \\\\.\\pipe\\elastic-agent-c306b9b82933d8329f46d01a43899d02927d345e5cfb5e0705b7cccc6e075d5d: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden."

The fleet state

We use a self managed stack (Version 8.6.0) with Trusted Certificate Authority Certs.
Hosts, Fleet and Elastic server are part of our company network but TLS secured.

As mentioned container rollout works i.e. client state is healthy and logs are transmitted. But we have some use case where it is necessary to have a none container based installation on windows and Linux hosts.

Regard Christian

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.