Platinum License - Restore from Elastic 6.X to Elastic 8.X

Dear friends,

I've made a snapshot on our customer Elastic Search 6.X, and I'm trying to restore it in a new infrastructure with Elastic Search 8.X.

I'm using Kibana (Dev Tools/Console) to manage the execution of the commands since I'm not an expert.

I've updated the license today, restarted both Elastic and Kibana instances, and it shows correctly (on /stack/license_management webpage) that "Your Platinum license is active".

This main snapshot is composed by (???) multiple snapshots with 1 indeces inside. What I mean is, if I do a GET /_snapshot/repository/_all what I get is something like this:

(this is just a simplification of the output so you can get the idea, since I don't know the correct terms do describe the content of the output)

{
  "snapshots": [
    {
     "snapshot": "index_example1",
     (...)
      "indices": [
        "index_example1"
      ],
     (...) 
     },
    {
      "snapshot": "index_example2",
      "indices": [
        "index_example2"

My snapshot has 5 indeces inside it, has the example above.

I've ran a simple POST command to restore 1 of the indeces, which I've created before running the restore:

POST /_snapshot/repository/index_example1/_restore
{
  "indices": "index_example1",
  "ignore_unavailable": true,
  "include_global_state": false
}

And here comes the problem.

"type": "security_exception",
"reason": "current license is non-compliant for [archive]",
"license.expired.feature": "archive"

Having Platinum License, it clearly says on the functionalities:
"Snapshot as simple archives" is not supported.

What am I doing wrong? Why is that the Snapshot that I created in ES 6, is being considered an "archive", and therefore I can not restore it on ES 8 with a Platinum License????

What am I missing here? I'm not understanding this archive concept, and why I can not perform the restore.

Is there any other way to restore this data with the Platinum license?

Thank you for your time and patience!

"Snapshot as simple archive" according to the subscriptions page you linked to requires an Enterprise license and is not available with the Platinum license. Without this only snapshots of indices created in one prior major version (v7.x in your case) can be restored.

You cannot restore an indice created in version 6.X into an 8.X cluster with the Platinum license, you need an enterprise license for that.

This Snapshot as simple archive is a recent feature that allows you to restore indices created on an version that is 2 or more versions behind than the current version, mainly version 5 and 6 indices can be restored in version 8 cluster, but Elastic decided to make this feature available only on the Enterprise level license.

The alternative is to spin-up a cluster on version 7.17, restore your indices in version 6.X on that 7.17 cluster, then reindex your indices and create new snapshots, those new snapshots could be restored on the version 8.X cluster.

1 Like

The alternative is to spin-up a cluster on version 7.17, restore your indices in version 6.X on that 7.17 cluster, then reindex your indices and create new snapshots, those new snapshots could be restored on the version 8.X cluster.

That could be a pretty good idea! I think that is the path we are going to take.

Could I perform all the tasks needed with a Basic License or a Trial License? Or do I need to still active the Platinum on this 7.17 cluster?

I'm just asking this because I have no idea if the number of active nodes with the same license would be a problem. Since this 7.17 node would be to destroy after all the data is on the 8.X nodes.

You can use the basic license, indices created on version 6.X are compatible with version 7.17, and index created on version 7.17 will also be compatible with a cluster on version 8.X.

You can check the snapshot compatibility version here, it also describes another workaround which is to use reindex from remote.

Depending on the size of your indices it may be an alternative.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.