Please explain how to customize filebeat settings when using Agent

I am used to Filebeat and customizing it to do what I want, but now am testing Agent and those same methods in Filebeat do not seem to work.

Note: I started with Fleet, but moved to standalone agents at this point. I could still create/edit a config in Fleet and copy it over if needed, which is how I have been testing settings.

Questions:

1. The elastic-agent.yml file controls what Filebeat monitors, right? If not, what does?
  2. Assuming #1 is correct, the word filebeat is not used in an elastic-agent.yml config. Is it input.streams which is what enables Filebeat activity?
  3. I have a basic elastic-agent.yml watching specific files like /var/log/syslog. I definitely do NOT have it set to monitor all of /var/log/, yet I am getting many events, every 30 seconds, that "file /var/log/kern.log has no content yet, skipping" (and other similar /var/log files). Event_dataset is elastic_agent.filebeat. I did not tell Agent/Filebeat to monitor this file. I would like these logs to not appear. What options do I have?
  4. I looked for a filebeat.yml file and the only on my system is /var/lib/elastic-agent/data/elastic-agent-de80b0/components/filebeat.yml. I've tried using my old Filebeat methods and changed this file, restarted Agent, but that did not seem to take effect. Should modifying this config have had an effect? (Note: this file, by default DOES monitor /var/log/*.log, which would explain why /var/log/kern.log and others have events related to them, but if that part of the config works, why not other parts, like disabling metrics?

Hi @mgotechlock

I suspect most of what you see is because the default collection is turned on by default ... turn it off if you do not want that.
That collects syslog and other logs by default...

Then Add Custom Logs and you should have about 80-90% functionality of filebeat.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.