Please provide us the runbook for upgrade plan from ELK stack 7.9.3 to 8.10

we are planning to upgrade ELK stack from 7.9.3 to 8.1 ( current ) but we could see the official page says that we must upgrade it to 7.17. Could you please provide the runbook since it's a huge cluster ( filebeat receiver, logstash receiver, rabimq , logstash parser and Elasticsearch and kibana ).we will plan it accordingly.

Hello and welcome,

It is not clear what you are asking for.

You cannot upgrade from 7.9.3 to 8.11, you need to upgrade to the last patch version of 7.17, check the upgrade assistant and after that upgrade to 8.11.

Going from 7.9.3 to 8.11 is not supported.

Currently we are running 7.9.3 elk stack to migrate to 7.17 , Do I need to check breaking changes for 7.17 or intermediate versions ( 7.10,7.11,...) also?

Because this statement in official page is confusing me.
Make sure you check the breaking changes for each minor 8.x release up to 8.10.4.

You should always check the breaking changes between the versions, while it is not expected for things to break between minor versions, this can happen and since you cannot rollback upgrades, it is better to check it.

You are running a pretty old version, so you will need to check the breaking changes from 7.9 until 7.17, in 7.17 you can use the upgrade assistant to see if anything will break when you upgrade to version 8.11.

I would also recommend that you check the changes between 8.0 and 8.11.

This can be a lot of work, 7.9 came out in August 2020, there are more than 3 years of changes.

1 Like

Thank you so much. First, I plan to migrate to version 7.17, and I will begin by examining the breaking changes in the intermediate versions between 7.9 and 7.17, excluding the patch versions. Following that, I will propose a plan for migrating to version 8.10.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.