Plotting date versus date in Kibana

Hi there!

I'm trying (without success...) to plot two date fields (one vs the other) in Kibana.

I have a data source of movie watch event by a set of users, for the past 5 years. Each document includes, among others, two date fields:
-watch event date (when a specific user watched a movie)
-movie release date (when the movie was originally released)

I want to see if users are watching older movies, or recently released movies. So I would like to see, for instance, what are the movie release dates of all watch events for the past year ("during the past year, users have been watching new movies or oldies?").

If I go to Discover and set the time pick filter to "last 1 year", I can see all kinds of "movie release date" values, ranging from 1960 until today. So far, so good.

The issue comes when I try to plot something in Visualize. My original idea was to set the time pick filter to "Last 1 year", and then plot the events by movie release date. However, the time filter seems to apply to both date fields, so even if in Discover I can see all kinds of Movie Release dates for watch events in the past year, in Visualize my results seem to be restricted also to Movie Release Dates in the past year. So I miss most of the data, for all watch events that happened in the past year but were about movies released over one year ago.

Is there any way to achieve this, without modofying index patterns or scripted fields?

Thank you!

Hi @InesCM

If you use Lens there's an option to "unbind" the field from time picker:

This makes it possible to build something like this with the Last 1 year time picker:

Hi Marco!

Thanks for your reply! On what version is that option available? I'm using Kibana 7.17.6, and the only option I have is to customize the time interval, but not to unbind it from the time picker.

Kind regards,
Inés

It has been introduced in 8.3.0