Pointing to different Nodes

Hi all,

New to elasticsearch I am currently for clarification on pointing to nodes with different roles. The current set up is a 3 Master-data node cluster and looking to possibly scale out. Currently there are 2 applications,

1. that continuously writes to elasticsearch
  2. a web application for users to search.

According to this post correct-usage-of-coordinating-role-node I can the application point directly to the coordination node or data node via the IP address / url of elasticsearch node.

Meaning for application

1. the writing application, I create connection pool of urls / ip address of only the data nodes and send the data their.
  2. the web app, I can add a coordination node to cluster and use only the ip address / url of the coordination node

Then if an ingest node is added to the cluster, do I add that nodes url / ip address to the connection pool of the data nodes?

Thank you

if your new node (with ingest role) is also a data node, you can add it. otherwise not.

Did I understand correctly about pointing the different applications to the different nodes?

Interesting, I do not need to point to an ingest only node from the application as elasticsearch will handle it.

from my personal point of view, you should use coordinating-only role for both activities (search and bulk-indexing actions).

following doc, here, ingest node is used to preprocess docs. if you do not need the preprocessing phase, you can skip it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.