Preparing cluster for the non-document-type in Elasticsearch 7

Hi,

I am preparing my first elastic cluster for a pilot project. I was using the document-type attribute, but after the announcement that it will be gone, I am only using (explicitly) "_doc".

Since I am using templates, I was really defining the "_doc" in the template, but with the new attribute include_type_name=false, I just removed the type from the template.

My assumption is that I wouldn't have to ingest my documents using the document-type attribute as well (I'm using Logstash output to Elasticsearch), however if I do so, I get an error saying that there is a conflict, because the default document from Logstash seems to be "doc", and the index created from the template, creates as "_doc". Here is one error example:

[2019-04-03T09:44:07,416][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"log_gen_test_2019.04.18", :_type=>"doc", :routing=>nil}, #<LogStash::Event:0x7179734d>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"log_gen_test_2019.04.18", "_type"=>"doc", "_id"=>"SQZx42kB46xwkZUbSU9B", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"Rejecting mapping update to [log_gen_test_2019.04.18] as the final mapping would have more than 1 type: [_doc, doc]"}}}}

My quesiton is. From version 7 (and on), is this the expected behavior? I mean, it seems that I have to define document_type => "_doc" in the Logstash output. That is the way to do? I am ok with that, but just need to make sure, trying to be compliant to Elasticsearch 7, minimizing the migration impact.

Thanks,
Rob

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.