Problem with elasticsearch service

Hello,
I know there have been topics on this before, but none of them have helped me solve my problem. The drive of my graylog server (on centOS) was filling up way too fast, and I wanted to put elasticsearch on a separate partition and uninstalling elastcisearch and then install it again, the service stops a few seconds after starting it.
Here is what I have:

Thank you in advance if you know how to help me

What is on the Elasticsearch logs?

Hi @Christian_Dahlqvist thank you for your reponse.
Here is the result for cat /var/log/elasticsearch/gc.log.0.current (it's the only file in the directory /var/log/elasticsearch/) :

Please don't post pictures of text, they are difficult to read, impossible to search and replicate (if it's code), and some people may not be even able to see them :slight_smile:

Hello @warkolm,
sorry for that, but but I don’t think I can, the vm I’m connected to has no graphical installation, it’s only a terminal, so I can’t use the mouse I’ll think about it though if I have to repost this kind of thing

Regardless, need the elasticsearch log, not the gc log - that will have startup / shutdown and error messages. If GC is the only file, that means the real file is elsewhere (like systemd journals) or it's not even starting at all.

Looks like you have a <2GB machine and are asking for 1GB of heap, which should work, but maybe there is not enough free RAM and it's not swappable - also, any errors or logs in your startup sequence like systemd ?

Also this is Java 8 which means you are either not using Elasticsearch V7 or it's not using its bundled version 14 JVM, which might be issue.

thank you @Steve_Mushero,
I don't think that the problem came of the version of elasticsearch or java, because I installed everything a week ago, but I don't have a lot of RAM (180M free on 1.7G)

I don't think that the problem came of the version of elasticsearch or java, because I installed everything a week ago, but I don't have a lot of RAM (180M free on 1.7G)

Be good to find the log or systemd output but I bet you don't have enough free ram to start - you might remove the memlock setting to let is swap to see if it'll at least start (slowly). Or make your heap smaller like 512M or something. Or add RAM.

But version 7 of Elasticsearch should use version 14 of the JVM by default; just odd yours does not, which can mean other JVM or startup issues, including illegal flags between versions that prevent starting.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.