Problem with restoring old (6.8) indices on ES 8.6.1

Hi, we have some issues with restoring old (6.8.13) indices on the latest 8.6.1 version. Restore fails on some shards with these messages :

Caused by: [users/owINpknoTCmTe2kMmzuRhg][[users][25]] org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShardRecoveryException: failed recovery ... 20 more Caused by: [users/owINpknoTCmTe2kMmzuRhg][[users][25]] org.elasticsearch.index.snapshots.IndexShardRestoreFailedException: restore failed ... 18 more Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Maximum sequence number [117122753] from last commit does not match global checkpoint [117122751]

the same snapshot restores without a problem on a 7.X cluster. Is there any possibility of restoring this as we want to reindex this data on 8.X

Elasticsearch can only read indices one major version back. Elasticsearch 8.x can therefore only read indices created in Elasticsearch 7.0 or newer. You will need to restore your 6.x indices into a 7.x cluster and reindex before the new indices can be snapshotted and restored into Elasticsearch 8.x.

Elasticsearch 7.0 is EOL and no longer supported. Please upgrade ASAP.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

Hi Christian,
thanks for the info, I was under the impression that since 8.3 we can restore indices as old as 5.x.

I believe you are referring to the archive functionality? If so this is correct, although I do believe it requires an Enterprise level license. I could be wrong about this though, but vaguely recall some reasonably recent post around it.

I'm using the trial license for testing this and there are no license complaints or warnings. Smaller indices with fever shards are restoring without any issues, only the ones with 100+ shards are having issues on single shards. That's why I thought its a code issue rather than a license.

I think so too. Please report it as a bug on GitHub.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.