Problem with transfer Filebeat 6.1.3 > Logstash 6.1.3 > Elasticsearch 6.1.3

(Andrew) #1

Hello!
Transfer log Filebeat > Elasticsearch without Logstash work fine.
When I add Logstash, I see in log:
[2018-06-18T08:42:00,801][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"filebeat-tmp-pg_postgresql-9.5-main.log-2018.06.18", :_type=>"doc", :_routing=>nil, :pipeline=>"filebeat-6.1.1-postgresql-log-pipeline"}, #<LogStash::Event:0x5c3141ac>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"filebeat-tmp-pg_postgresql-9.5-main.log-2018.06.18", "_type"=>"doc", "_id"=>"JbgOEmQBroNl8DFs2kuj", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"object mapping for [host] tried to parse field [host] as object, but found a concrete value"}}}}

In index mapping for field host:

"host": {
    "properties": {
      "name": {
        "type": "keyword",
        "ignore_above": 1024
      },
      "architecture": {
      },
      "id": {
      },
      "os": {
        "properties": {
          "family": {
          },
          "version": {
          },
          "platform": {
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }

I don't understand how resolve this problem :disappointed_relieved:. Please, help me!

(Ry Biesemeyer) #2

The error message comes from Elasticsearch, and is occurring because something is attempting to index a document whose host value is a concrete value (likely a string), when the index expects an object (from your mapping, it looks like it should have sub-keys like name, architecture, id, and os).

What does your Logstash pipeline configuration look like? If you include a stdout output plugin using the (poorly named) rubydebug codec, what do your events look like?

output {
  elasticsearch {
    # ...
  }
  stdout {
    codec => rubydebug
  }
}

(Andrew) #3

Maybe I can disable sending field host?
My logstash config: /etc/logstash/conf.d/filebeat.conf

input {
  beats {
    port => 5044
  }
 }

output {
    elasticsearch {
        hosts => ["elastic1.server.com:9200" , "elastic2.server.com:9200" , "elastic3.server.com:9200"]
        index => "filebeat-tmp-pg_postgresql-9.5-main.log-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
        pipeline => "filebeat-6.1.1-postgresql-log-pipeline"
    }
}

(Ry Biesemeyer) #4

It looks like your index was created with a new version of Beats that is implementing the ECS (Elastic Common Schema), but that the Logstash output isn't quite in the same shape :weary:

ECS has a host.name field, which corresponds to the host name being output from Logstash. By adding a Mutate filter with a rename directive, you can move the host field to host.name with the field-reference syntax as below to align with the schema that you already have in Elasticsearch:

filter {
  mutate {
    rename {
      "[host]" => "[host][name]"
    }
  }
}

"object mapping for [host] tried to parse field [host] as object, but found a concrete value"
(Andrew) #5

Can I update my Logstash to version, which support field host.name?

Logstash cannot accept the events
(Marcel Puchol) #6

Same problem here.

I'm using FileBeat (6.1.3 & 6.3.0) -> Logstash 6.3.0 -> ElasticSearch 6.3.0.

FileBeat 6.1.3 sends host information as string -> e.g. "host":"ip-10-1-100-16"
meanwhile FileBeat 6.3.0 sends host information as object -> e.g. "host": { "name": "ip-10-1-100-230" }

In my case, as I also have beats information ( "beat": { "hostname": "ip-10-1-100-230" } }, I can ignore host information via:

filter {
  mutate {
    remove_field => [ "host" ]
  }
}

However, if you want to convert previous content into new one, you can do something similar to:

filter {
  if [beat][version] < "6.3" {
    mutate {
      replace => { "host" => { "name" => "%{host}" } }
    }
    json_encode {
      source => "host"
    }
  }
}

(pavan) #7

I also have the issue and following are the details of the issue.

We have upgraded filebeat and logstash to 6.3 as part of patching. 
#logstash -V
logstash 6.3.0

#filebeat version
filebeat version 6.3.0 (amd64), libbeat 6.3.0

we noticed that the format of host through logstash has changed as follows:
e.g. "host":"xxx.ood.ops"  to "host": { "name": "xxx.ood.ops" }

After doing the upgrade we are getting the following errors
 In logstash:
 Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>"3320728454", :_index=>"logstash-2018.07.18", :_type=>"doc", :_routing=>nil}, #<LogStash::Event:0x4e8bfcd8>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"logstash-2018.07.18", "_type"=>"doc", "_id"=>"3320728454", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"object mapping for [host] tried to parse field [host] as object, but found a concrete value"}}}}

In elasticsearch:
 [2018-07-18T17:01:04,903][DEBUG][o.e.a.b.TransportShardBulkAction] [logstash-2018.07.18][1] failed to execute bulk item (index) BulkShardRequest [[logstash-2018.07.18][1]] containing [11] requests

org.elasticsearch.index.mapper.MapperParsingException: object mapping for [host] tried to parse field [host] as object, but found a concrete value

The json format as seen in kibana:
 {

"_index": "logstash-2018.07.18",
"_type": "doc",
"_id": "2114191840",
"_version": 102181,
"_score": null,
"_source": {
"prospector": {
"type": "log"
},
"host": {
"name": "xxx.ood.ops"
},
"source": "/var/log/sample.out",
"beat": {
"name": "xxx.ood.ops",
"hostname": "xxx.ood.ops",
"version": "6.3.0"
},
"input": {
"type": "log"
}

I tried the solution of renaming and following is the error:

[2018-07-18T16:01:10,186][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>"4218739081", :_index=>"logstash-2018.07.18", :_type=>"doc", :_routing=>nil}, #LogStash::Event:0x14e8812e], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"logstash-2018.07.18", "_type"=>"doc", "_id"=>"4218739081", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"failed to parse [host.name]", "caused_by"=>{"type"=>"illegal_state_exception", "reason"=>"Can't get text on a START_OBJECT at 1:57"}}}}}

Can you please help ?

What error do you see in the elasticsearch log when you see that error in the logstash log?

(pavan) #9

hi,
The elasticsaearch error is also right below the logstash error in my previous post.

As a work around we renamed host.name to hostname for now as the indexing is failing on [host] field.

mutate {
rename => { "[host][name]" => "[hostname]" }
}

Let me know if there is any other way.

(system) #10

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.