Publicly opening the elastic search ports

Hi,
I am having a reasonable number of servers in various geo locations. I am planning to install beats in those servers and to set a ELK setup as a core monitor server.
So publicly opening a port will definitely increase the risk.
What are the ways so that I can push the logs into my core server by minimizing the risks.
Setting a VPN connection is the later part if nothing else works out!

Thanks In advance
Regards
Vishnu

If the clients are in completely different network then Elasticsearch, opening a port is probably the only solution. Also for a VPN you have to open a port.

If you have to open Elasticsearch to a public endpoint, make sure to use the Security features: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/6.2/elasticsearch-security.html

1 Like

Hi,
Thankyou ruflin for the response!
The clients are completely in a different network. The plan for the VPN was the last option if there is not much risk while opening the ES port publicly.
Thanks

Is there a firewall between your internet connection and the elastic server?

If you have a firewall and only allow the IPs of your remote locations to connect on Elastic's port then that should be reasonably safe.

If you don't have a firewall or allow "all" IPs to connect, well that is just asking for problems. Besides the security risks, just think of the fun you could have if you find a open elasticsearch server...

But you should really set up a VPN and a firewall if you care about security at all.

Hi,
Thankyou Sjaak!
Yes we do have a proxy in front of of my ES server. But the beats clients may be having different IP s for different situations. Different IP in the sense that the IP will vary based on locations. So providing an IP based restriction will be a burden.
Yes, now if there us no way down, we will be looking out for the VPN connectivity!
Thanks
Vishnu

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.