Puppet-elasticsearch upgrading instance from 2.3.2 to 5.1.2

I have a large number of elasticsearch nodes with version 2.3.2 installed and puppetized on them. I was hoping this week to start the process of upgrading some of the clusters containing these nodes to some version of Elasticsearch 5.x. The puppet-elasticsearch readme says that 5.x is supported, but when I try to change the version value in the manifest to 5.1.2 I get the following error:

Error: Could not update: Failed to update to version 5.1.2-1, got version 2.3.2-1 instead Error: /Stage[main]/Elasticsearch::Package/Package[elasticsearch]/ensure: change from 2.3.2-1 to 5.1.2-1 failed: Could not update: Failed to update to version 5.1.2-1, got version 2.3.2-1 instead

The error is then following by a large number of Skipping because of failed dependencies errors. Which is to be expected since the upgrade of elasticsearch fails in a big way.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Elastic team, any advice on dealing with this issue?

Hi @Joseph.Flanigan, welcome to the forums!

That error just means that your package manager can't find version 5.x to install. This can be due to a number of reasons. By default, the module pins the package version to avoid accidentally upgrading when you indicate a package version. Could you post the relevant parts of your puppet config here so we can take a closer look?

1 Like

Pointing this out actually solved the issue for me. We maintain our own yum servers and no package existed for 5.1.2, but there was one for 5.0.1. I tested the code out pointing to that version and everything works fine now. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.