Query a range of values in phrase

Hi
I already have a log in the message field as below

The value 200 is the status , but I don't have it in a separate field. How can I filter range of values in a text field. I'm trying to filter the logs based on their status.

Please suggest me on this

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Sahithi_Muddasani

You can try using wildcard query

{"query":{ "wildcard": { "message.keyword" : "*200*" }}}

You can also check Regexp query, to compare and see what works better for you.

Regards, Dzmitry

Hi Dzmitry
I tried using wildcard but it's giving me all the results which have 2 .I wanted to have only results that are followed by receive1.1 and should not also filter out if 2 is present in time i.e (28ms)
I have message in the log as
Info matched 2 , Post v/consumer/receive1.1 200(16ms).
Info matched 2, post v/consumer/receive1.1 404 (28ms)

So when I tried using * it is giving me and ? Is not working here.

You can try building a regular expression and use Regexp query to match your criteria, but it will make your search much slower. You can also create a scripted field with response code, but it still slows down your search experience.

Creating a pipeline that adds a field with the response code based on your rules, then reindex documents and use field filtering in Discover. Fixing data design is a better way to make things work fast and reliable.

Regards, Dzmitry

I tried this scripted field but the format on some messages (space or no space between response code and "(" is different so this maybe isn't a good solution;

In the index pattern, scripted fields tab, I added this number type scripted field. It finds the "(" char and then gets substring starting 3 chars in front of that and up to that "(".

doc['Message.keyword'].value.substring(doc['Message.keyword'].value.indexOf("(")-3, doc['Message.keyword'].value.indexOf("("))

So it's really better to improve the ingest side to get the different parts of the message into separate fields.

Thank you @Dzmitry and @LeeDr.
I can't edit the data design so used scripted field and it worked perfectly for my requirement.

I created a scripted field "responsecode" Of number type. I'm unable to use this field to filter. Whenever I try, it says few shards failed.

I'm storing a substring from message field in responsecode field. I assumed the particular substring is still in string format so I'm getting some error and tried parseInt method. Even that didn't work, I got result as . I checked for mapping of this particular field in index from console. Result was
"Index":{
"Mappings:{}
}

I wanted to use the scripted field to filter based on range of response codes.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.