Question on APM architecture elk 8

Hi,

I was going through the elk 8 documentation and noticed that the previous APM server has been changed to legacy and from 8 onwards, we need to migrate it to Fleet APM integration

I have few questions on the 8 model. Can some one clarify me

As per the image

APM agent connects to APM integration (not APM server)
Is APM Server completely removed from architecture?

Do we need to redirect APM agents to Fleet agent port 8220 ? I am asking this because the wizard to add APM integration is showing 8200 again and it is also asking to check APM server

Thanks in Advance

Just to clarify: although the existing APM Server has been labelled "legacy", it is not yet deprecated. We expect that to come some time later. There is no urgency for migrating, but if you can then it's probably best to do it sooner than later.

APM agent connects to APM integration (not APM server)
Is APM Server completely removed from architecture?

APM Server is still there. The APM Integration is a new deployment architecture: APM Server is now run as a subprocess of Elastic Agent. These subprocesses are referred to as integrations. The new architecture enables central management of APM Server in Kibana, using the Fleet app, among other things.

Do we need to redirect APM agents to Fleet agent port 8220 ? I am asking this because the wizard to add APM integration is showing 8200 again and it is also asking to check APM server

You should continue using port 8200 as before. I assume from your use of the docker tag that you are running the stack in Docker containers. You will need to expose port 8200 in the Elastic Agent container that is running the APM integration.

Thanks for the reply. I am able to restructure with integration & 8200. Found apmserver binary running in fleet container now.
However, possibly got stuck with the "Agent authorization" -> " Anonymous Agent access" -> Allowed agents.

By default "rum-js, js-base & iOS/swift " are allowed and wildcard is not allowed here.

Can you provide me the list of possible names here.

What are you trying to do? This anonymous auth config is only relevant if you have either secret token or API Key auth enabled, and you want to allow an agent (such as RUM) to send data to APM Server without authenticating. If you all agents to be able to do this, then just don't enable secret token or API Key auth.

we are not using any authentication methods as of now. once I've added feet apm(in place of apm server), I could not see the applications under apm services in kibana.
so, I was assuming that "anonymous" access could be the reason.

As of now, this test env has python django based app.

Please check the Elastic Agent and APM Agent logs for some clues:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.