Rackspace / jclouds

I finally fixed my issues (mismatch on cluster.name was the biggest culprit) and I have a cluster running via unicast. I saw a May 2011 blog post on elasticsearch.org:

http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/2010/05/11/here-comes-the-cloud.html

Where support for discovery using Rackspace APIs was hinted, via jclouds. I take it this doesn't exist anymore? I'm looking at the source code and there's only a cloud-aws module there, and no usages of jclouds.

How would I go about starting to contribute a cloud-rackspace plugin -- is it planned, are there any other takers, is using jclouds fair game?

TIA,JP

Heya,

Answered a bit in the previous thread. A jclouds based cloud plugin is certainly something that I want to have. One of the problems I had with the discovery API was that jclouds was doing all sorts of stuff (fetching images, parsing, ...) when all I needed was to get a list of nodes running... .

On Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 2:59 AM, jp.lorandi@cfyar.com wrote:

I finally fixed my issues (mismatch on cluster.name (http://cluster.name) was the biggest culprit) and I have a cluster running via unicast. I saw a May 2011 blog post on elasticsearch.org (http://elasticsearch.org):

Elasticsearch Platform — Find real-time answers at scale | Elastic

Where support for discovery using Rackspace APIs was hinted, via jclouds. I take it this doesn't exist anymore? I'm looking at the source code and there's only a cloud-aws module there, and no usages of jclouds.

How would I go about starting to contribute a cloud-rackspace plugin -- is it planned, are there any other takers, is using jclouds fair game?

TIA,
JP

Yeah I noticed that. I also think they cleaned up a lot, altought it might not be 100% there yet, as they're mostly supporting imaging and creation amongst very heterogeneous vendors. Last nite I cloned the ES source and setup Gradle etc, and have it running on IDEA. I'm gonna need something that implements cloud-rackspace either by using jclouds or by hitting the Rackspace API directly, and I'll implement myself. I'm just thinking it in terms of design and contributing back. I'm gonna focus on hitting the Rackspace APIs directly.

Best,JP

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Re: Rackspace / jclouds

Date: Tue, July 05, 2011 7:58 am

To: users@elasticsearch.com

Heya,

Answered a bit in the previous thread. A jclouds based cloud plugin is certainly something that I want to have. One of the problems I had with the discovery API was that jclouds was doing all sorts of stuff (fetching images, parsing, ...) when all I needed was to get a list of nodes running... .

I finally fixed my issues (mismatch on cluster.name was the biggest culprit) and I have a cluster running via unicast. I saw a May 2011 blog post on elasticsearch.org:

TIA,JP

First, contributions are welcomed! :). I would suggest checking the jclouds again, when I last spoke with Adrain, he said they will add an option (flag / setting) to the compute API to do as little as possible to just fetch the running nodes. Maybe its worth revisiting...

On Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM, jp.lorandi@cfyar.com wrote:

Yeah I noticed that. I also think they cleaned up a lot, altought it might not be 100% there yet, as they're mostly supporting imaging and creation amongst very heterogeneous vendors. Last nite I cloned the ES source and setup Gradle etc, and have it running on IDEA. I'm gonna need something that implements cloud-rackspace either by using jclouds or by hitting the Rackspace API directly, and I'll implement myself. I'm just thinking it in terms of design and contributing back. I'm gonna focus on hitting the Rackspace APIs directly.

Best,
JP

From: Shay Banon <shay.banon@elasticsearch.com (http://shay.banon@elasticsearch.com)>
To: users@elasticsearch.com (mailto:users@elasticsearch.com)

Heya,

On Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 2:59 AM, jp.lorandi@cfyar.com (mailto:jp.lorandi@cfyar.com) wrote:

I finally fixed my issues (mismatch on cluster.name (http://cluster.name) was the biggest culprit) and I have a cluster running via unicast. I saw a May 2011 blog post on elasticsearch.org (http://elasticsearch.org):

Elasticsearch Platform — Find real-time answers at scale | Elastic

TIA,
JP

Byt the time I'm reading this mail... it's a bit late -- I have the Rackspace IP APIs running. I tried ElasticRack, but that project's dead. So I put one together using Wink and Jackson. Less than an hour's worth of work, gotta love REST. I'm using the regular Jackson, dunno how that matches up with the one ES bundles. Wink has several dependencies and I don't know how you'd feel about that.

I don't have a full plugin -- Just the ability to query all Rackspace Public/Private IPs given your user & api key. I could push it somewhere you tell me to, and maybe we can take it from there (I could use many pointers about doing a full plugin for ES).

TIA,JP

Date: Tue, July 05, 2011 10:16 pm

First, contributions are welcomed! :). I would suggest checking the jclouds again, when I last spoke with Adrain, he said they will add an option (flag / setting) to the compute API to do as little as possible to just fetch the running nodes. Maybe its worth revisiting...

On Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM, jp.lorandi@cfyar.com wrote:

Best,JP

Heya,

TIA,JP