Reason for brief cluster status RED

From time to time I see Cluster health API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.3] | Elastic return "status": "red" for a few seconds. This never lasts long, so simply running Cluster allocation explain API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.3] | Elastic is not an option.

When this happens, number_of_nodes does not report any missing nodes and initializing_shards and unassigned_shards are at most 3. Since all my indices have 3 shards, it looks like one of them went temporarily bad.

So the question is: How do I find out which index was responsible for "status": "red"?

It must be something easy, but I just don't see it.

I see that when this happens, there is often "number_of_pending_tasks": 1, so i tried with cat task management API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.3] | Elastic , but that seems to return only currently executing tasks, so the "guilty" task is not there anymore.

I expected to find the answer via cat recovery API | Elasticsearch Guide [8.3] | Elastic somehow, but so far I don't understand how to sort this by time of completion.

Anyone?
I am sure it must be something really simple like asking for last shard to become unallocated.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.