Rebalance is Not Working In Elasticsearch

Hi Team,

I had below scenario in my Elasticsearch setup.
The cluster previously consists of 2 nodes and one index having docs around 125M.
I had added one more node to the cluster but the data is not getting distributed uniformly across three nodes.
So I just want to know is rebalance will happen automatically or we need to trigger manually and how to check the progress of this rebalance activity.

Thanks,
Debasis

How many primary and replica shards do you have in the cluster?

Are all nodes running exactly the same vesion?

@Christian_Dahlqvist Thanks for response. Please find the below response to your questions.

How many primary and replica shards do you have in the cluster?
Ans:- It is the default setting while creating Index (Primary shard 1 and replica 1).
Are all nodes running exactly the same version?.
Ans: Yes (8.9.x).

Thanks,
Debasis

Elasticsearch balances data at the shard level. If you only have one index with one primary and one replica shard, those 2 shards can only be spread across 2 nodes.

Thanks @Christian_Dahlqvist for response. Can you please helps me to understand below two points.

1. If I increase the shard count then the rebalance process will happen automatically or we need to trigger manually.
  2. Could you please share me any blog or doc link which I can follow and perform the rebalance.
  3. Is there anyway to monitor the progress of rebalance process from Kibana dashboard.

Thanks,
Debasis

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.