Reindexing after creating a new mapping

hi all,
In our elasticsearch dEV instance, the indexes are getting created like "appid-2018.01.02", "appid-2018.01.05 " ( appid-yyyy.mm.dd format) - one index for each day's data.
In a few indexes, one of the field - logdate - is being taken as 'date' and in others the type of this field is being taken as 'text'. we would like to have this as 'text'.
I figured out that we need to define a new mapping template and recreate indexes.
I am trying the below steps., after creating a new template

1. find out which of those idexes where logdate is of type date
  2. create a duplicate index using "POST _reindex " (e.g. for appid-2018.02.03, the duplicate index will be created as appid-new_2018.02.03)
  3. delete the old index (appid-2018.02.03)
  4. create a duplicate again using POST _reindex (appid-2018.02.03 will be created with appid-new
    -2018.02.03 as source)

This seem to work fine. the newly created index has the logdate as 'text' type.
But it is tedious to do this for all the indexes, one by one.

May i please know if there is any way that i can do this in a bulk . Say like all the indexes like "appid-2018*" should be reindexed after applying the new template.

using logstash 5.1.2

many thanks in advance !

there is no bulk-reindex I am sorry. Are you using the reindex API for this?

thanks for your response Simon,
ya, i used POST _reindex to create a duplicate index, then delete the existing index.
this process had to be repeated for every index that had the datatype as DATE for the logdate field.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.