Required plugins for ES-5.6.3

I'm running es-5.6.3 on rhel.
It works well with single and multi node configuration and basic attributes in elasticsearch.yml (cluster.name, node.name, node.master, node.data, network.host, etc.).

But when I added the node.host: xyz and node.group: group1 attributes to the config file and restarded the es, then the es not started and failed to pass the bootstrap process, giving the error:
ERROR o.e.b.Bootstrsp Exception
Suppressed: java.lang.IllegalArgumEcception: unknown settings node.host...., node.group, please check if any required plugin are installed or check the braking changes documentation for removed settings

I did not install any plugins in the node's plugin folder yet.
Which one need to be installed and where can I get them ?
I read the es 5 plugin docs section (there are multiple plugins) but still unclear which plugins need to be added in my particular case to fix the issue ?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Vadim,

I wonder where you picked up the additional settings you're trying to use. There's a network.host setting, and you can set arbitrarily named attributes with node.attr.<some_attribute_name>, which can be used for e.g. shard allocation rules in multi-rack environments.

Please remove any unknown settings from your elasticsearch.yml file, and the nodes should restart normally again.

Hey Magnus,
I'm experimenting to replace the old es-2 which is currently in use, with the es-5.6.3.
I was able to setup and run es-5 multinode cluster on multiple servers without node.host and node.group in es-5 config file.
In old es-2 in elasticsearch.yml there are:
node.host: some-host
node.group: some-group
node.group1: some-group1
and there are two old plugins inside the plugins folder - analysis-askme and delete-by-query

That is why I added node.host and node.group in es-5 config and this lead to error when starting the node - something like ... unknown setting (node.group) ... unknown setting (node.host)
I thought the error because there were no plugins in es-5 plugins folder and I moved those two plugins from es-2 to es-5 and started the es-5 then after restarting Im getting the error - something like using uncompatible versions of plugins.
And that is why Im trying to find the plugins which will allow me to run es-5 with the node.host and node.group in elasticsearch.yml

Appreciate your help Magnus.

The syntax for that changed in 5.X, see https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.6/allocation-awareness.html.

Thank you Mark and Magnus for quick responses.
Thanks to your guidelines I was able to fix the es-5 config yml file with node.attr.xyz

I still need to replace two old ES-2 plugins (analysis-askme and delete-by-query) to being able to use the raplacements in ES-5.
It there any way to figure out this ?

Appreciate your help.

Delete by query is now part of 5.X - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.6/docs-delete-by-query.html

Thanks Mark !!!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.