Rest client library documentation doesn't warn about removal of DeleteIndexResponse class, as well as change of method signature of delete()

Hi!

Forgive me, if I'm posting this to the wrong place.

I'd like to report a bug in the documentation for the 6.4, 6.5 and all subsequent versions of the documentation for the elasticsearch rest clients.

The documentation for 6.4 gives the following API usage:

DeleteIndexResponse deleteIndexResponse = client.indices().delete(request, RequestOptions.DEFAULT);

But the documentation for 6.5 gives to following API usage:

AcknowledgedResponse deleteIndexResponse = client.indices().delete(request, RequestOptions.DEFAULT);

However, the DeleteIndexResponse class was never deprecated in 6.4, prior to its removal in 6.5, as is customary (and widely practised by your project normally). Neither in the source code, nor in the Javadocs for 6.4 (class, IndicesClient usage).

Nor was I able to find any deprecation/removal notice in any changelog between 6.4 and 6.5 (but that could be my omission).

Unfortunately, this class was indeed removed (and the delete method signature was changed) in 6.5 without a previous deprecation.

Now, I'm not here to complain or blame. Code that is long since removed is already removed. :slight_smile: "No reason to cry over spilled milk", as the saying goes.

But I would kindly ask you to consider updating the aforementioned API documentation for all versions after 6.5 with a note for the section "Synchronous Execution" that the API changed between versions 6.4 and 6.5, and that you can safely change instances of DeleteIndexResponse to AcknowledgedResponse as DeleteIndexResponse was an empty subclass of AcknowledgedResponse, functionally identical to its superclass.

Thanks for your understanding!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.