Restore Incremental

Hi! I'm in the process of migrating our ES cluster from Windows to Docker/Linux. I thought I could do it with Snapshots/Restore.

This partially works but not really.

Our cluster is like 4TB in size. A snapshot takes like 4 hours to do out to disk. Similarly with restoring.

Which I thought was find with snapshot_1. I took a snapshot_2 which is in incremental and so took much quicker to complete but I can't resotre it as I'm told:

cannot restore index [usage-2017.06] because an open index with same name already exists in the cluster. Either close or delete the existing index or restore the index under a different name by providing a rename pattern and replacement name

Is the only way to restore 4TB of data would be to do all 4TB in one go? Is there no way to restore an incremental?

I'm assuming I'm missing something :slight_smile: Thanks so much!

-Matt

If I'm reading the documentation correctly, if I close all indexes in the destination cluster and then I attempt to restore snapshot_2 (after restoring snapshot_1), it'll open the ones that were open in the source cluster, correct? (having include_global_state = true)

In essence, restoring an incremental onto an existing cluster. That right?

think I answered my own question by doing it. I think I'm good now.

Thanks for being my thought board :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.