Retrieving results by using kibanaSavedObjectMeta.searchSourceJSON from a saved search

I have a use-case that demands reading out the API for saved searches in Kibana and retrieving the results.

There seems to be no API for Kibana to do this.
A defined saved search can be retrieved and in it's json response you can find the field 'kibanaSavedObjectMeta.searchSourceJSON' which has the following structure:

{
"index": "a40f4f20-972d-11e9-a4aa-9b663566a96d",
"highlightAll": true,
"version": true,
"query": {
"language": "kuery",
"query": ""
},
"filter": [
{
"$state": {
"store": "appState"
},
"meta": {
"alias": null,
"disabled": false,
"key": "_type",
"negate": false,
"params": {
"query": "datacenter-patching",
"type": "phrase"
},
"type": "phrase",
"value": "datacenter-patching"
},
"match": {
"_type": {
"query": "datacenter-patching",
}
}
}
},
{
"meta": {
"negate": false,
"type": "phrase",
"key": "doc.Patching Status",
"value": "Non-compliant",
"params": {
"query": "Non-compliant",
},
"disabled": false,
"alias": null
},
"match": {
"doc.Patching Status": {
"query": "Non-compliant",
}
}
},
"$state": {
"store": "appState"
}
}
]
}

Now, after a lot of Google searches I can't seem to find a way to transform this in a Elasticsearch query or something useful to retrieve the actual results.
Strange because if you go to the saved search in the UI > Inspect > Request, you can see the actual Elasticsearch query I need.

Anybody any idea?

Hello Lars,

Your best bet would probably be to interact with your saved searches via the Saved Object API, since Saved Searches are just a type of Saved Object in Kibana. We do expose the Elasticsearch queries occurring to the user via Inspect as you noticed, but I don't believe they're available via query.

You could use a Python (or other) script to retrieve the Saved Objects, filter for Saved Searches and then re-execute the searches using the same parameters.

Regards,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your answer,
What I do now is re-parse the saved search parameters into an Elastic Search query, which feels dirty.

Is there a way to execute the query directly? (without reparsing the parameters, querystring, filters, aggregations, ...)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.