Run ansible from docker container

I'm trying to run ansible to install ES from a docker container host, but I'm running into problems with systemd. Systemd doesn't work easily in docker containers.

I'm not looking to start ES, I only install it with ansible. Is there a way to install and not start? I'm using ansible to build VM images that I deploy and run later.

We have official docker images and installation instruction.
Would these be useful as a base image of what you are trying to build?

Alternatively, you could install elasticsearch using the archive files https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/targz.html

hi @Yang_Wang.

Sorry to be confusing, but I'm not talking about installing elasticsearch in docker. I'm talking about installing elasticsearch in a VM using Ansible, where Ansible is getting executed from a docker container. This is remote installation.

I'm using the elasticsearch supported Ansible package here:

The repo mentions engaging with the team on this discuss.

Sorry I am not familiar with the ansible roles. Not sure exactly what systemd problem you are running into. Might be helpful if you could share a error log. Also just by searching the ansible repo, there is an option es_start_service which can be set to false to not start the service after installation.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.