Running two clusters in a single node

Greetings,

I'm trying to set up the Cross Cluster Replication locally in a single node. I have been using one elasticsearch/kibana instance running as a service (version 7.9.3) with default settings and everything works fine. Now for the CCR I downloaded elasticsearch/kibana as tar.gz (version 7.10.0) and executed them with the following settings (I report only configurations different from the default one):
elasticsearch.yml

cluster.name: ClusterB 
http.port: 9201

kibana.yml

server.port: 5602
elasticsearch.hosts: ["http://localhost:9201"]

When I execute elasticsearch from the /bin directory this error is thrown
[WARN ][o.e.d.HandshakingTransportAddressConnector] [giacomo-ondesca-1] handshake failed for [connectToRemoteMasterNode[127.0.0.1:9300]]

Also seems that kibana tries to connect to the other elasticsearch instance (the one running as a service on port 9200).

What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

You probably need to set

node.name: giacomo-ondesca-1
discovery.seed_hosts: []
cluster.initial_master_nodes: [giacomo-ondesca-1]

and similarly for the other node (except I recommend replacing both instances of giacomo-ondesca-1 with something else to avoid confusion). Otherwise they'll be trying to automatically form a single cluster and will be getting confused because their cluster names don't match.

Remember to remove cluster.initial_master_nodes after the first startup too.

Hi David,
First of all thanks a lot for your answer. After you suggestions, I succeed starting the second elasticsearch instance, but it seems that the cluster cannot find a master node:

[WARN ][o.e.c.c.ClusterFormationFailureHelper] [giacomo-ondesca-2] master not discovered or elected yet, an election requires a node with id [cM2DKHgYTq-ZZwNMkfMqFA], have discovered [{giacomo-ondesca-2}{ZIcFDn9jQg2AMMJuZ7mlmg}{FsidkdaDTo-PSrjBPb1ACQ}{127.0.0.1}{127.0.0.1:9301}{cdhilmrstw}{ml.machine_memory=8348446720, xpack.installed=true, transform.node=true, ml.max_open_jobs=20}] which is not a quorum; discovery will continue using [] from hosts providers and [{giacomo-ondesca-2}{ZIcFDn9jQg2AMMJuZ7mlmg}{FsidkdaDTo-PSrjBPb1ACQ}{127.0.0.1}{127.0.0.1:9301}{cdhilmrstw}{ml.machine_memory=8348446720, xpack.installed=true, transform.node=true, ml.max_open_jobs=20}] from last-known cluster state; node term 15, last-accepted version 5532 in term 15

This says that the node already belonged to a cluster, but the rest of the cluster is no longer present, but that's not how you described things in your original post. I guess you've tried lots of different things and now your state is all messed up. If so, probably best to start again from scratch: shut everything down, wipe all the data paths and start the nodes up again.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.