Search timeout not working

Hello.

I have a small index (~10000 documents) and have specified 1000 as the argument to the size() method of SearchSourceBuilder. When I inspect the totalHits value for some of my searches, that number is in excess of the size limit I've set so I increased it to a larger number, say, 5000. However, when I do that, the searches fail with a SocketTimeout exception. So, I set a value of 120 seconds as the timeout, which should be more than enough to complete the query, yet it still fails with a SocketTimeout. What am I missing here? Is there some setting on the Elasticsearch server which I need to modify in order to keep the handshake alive? I am working with the Elasticsearch service hosted in AWS. Also, my code is in Java.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

1 Like

Hi!
Show how you can set timeout, please.

I followed the example given on this page Search

sourceBuilder.timeout(new TimeValue(60, TimeUnit.SECONDS));

Try this in your client:

var builder = RestClient.builder(HttpHost.create(**ecsHost**))
                .setRequestConfigCallback(
                        requestConfigBuilder -> requestConfigBuilder
                                .setConnectTimeout(**connectTimeout**)
                                .setSocketTimeout(**socketTimeout**)
                )
                .setHttpClientConfigCallback(httpClientBuilder ->
                    httpClientBuilder.setDefaultIOReactorConfig(
                        IOReactorConfig.custom()
                            .setSoTimeout(**socketTimeout**)
                            .setConnectTimeout(**connectTimeout**)
                            .setIoThreadCount(getIoThreadCount())
                            .build())
                );
        return new RestHighLevelClient(builder);

Okay, I am writing in Java, but this code gives me a hint! I will try setting the timeout on both the client call and the search request. I may not get to it today, since I have another fire to put out. But I will report back next week. Thanks for taking the time to code this up!

1 Like

Okay, I took a quick look at the 6.8 docs (which is the version I'm using) and there doesn't appear to be any way to set the socket timeout, just maxRetries. There is some code which shows how to set the callback but I don't think that is what I want. Looks like I'm stuck at this point with being able to configure the client with a different socket timeout value. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Changing the timeout on the client doesn't work?

I can't change the timeout for the client, there is no method to do that, at least none that I could see. I can set the timeout in the SearchSourceBuilder but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Curious, this code I sent is java (Java High Level REST Client).

which version? I have never declared anything var in Java

okay, that makes sense. We actually have lombok in our project but not using it in this way. I will try your code and see if that works. Should I also set the timeout on the call to the client? As I described before?

Sorry, is Java 11.

No.

oh, we are on 8

okay, I'll try that later today. Trying to get a range query to work right now :smiley:

Well, it turns out that my team lead is no longer "hot" on the issue of fixing the timeout. He is satisfied if the result set is capped at 1000 even though there may be significantly more than that returned as hits. I'll keep this in my back pocket should things change but I appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.