Security Analytics Recipes - DNS Data Exfiltration

Hello everybody!

I try to implement the Security Analytics Recipe for DNS Data Exfiltration, posted here: github. In order to do this, I use ELK and Packetbeat v. 7.6.2. I took step by step all the explanations in the above link, with some little changes because many things from there are old and not applying to the current version (e.g. X-pack is already integrated and available with a trail license, there is no need for the ingest script as we can use the already defined fields dns.question.subdomain and dns.question.etld_plus_one, etc.). For the Machine Learning (ML) job creation I utilize the UI provided by Kibana, using parameters in files job.json and data_feed.json. Moreover, I use the dns_exfil_random.sh script to generate the DNS Data Exfiltration signature, which works perfectly. Everything is fine, I got about 4000 docs processed in 2 hours, but I am not able to get any anomaly (aprox. 3000 events from all of them are generated running for 3 times the script with parameters like vodkaroom.ru, elastic.co and hp.com). For this job I chose the options, Start time: Start now and End time: Real-time search.
I will present to you some pictures which describe the configuration I did for the ML job:

Example of events filtered out by dns.question.name and dns.question.etld_plus_one

Looking to my explanations and my configuration photos please tell me where I am wrong and how could I get some results like the author in the following picture Anomaly found. I trust on your experience and professional skills.

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure you have a field called dns.question.subdomain in your data? In the screenshot of the Datafeed Preview there are only 3 fields being returned:

timestamp
dns.question.etld_plus_one
host.name

In other words, no field called dns.question.subdomain is being sent to the ML job. If the full DNS question field is:

585fjaklkfjakejfjkl498f983nf893nfv903.elastic.co

then the dns.question.subdomain should just be the value:

585fjaklkfjakejfjkl498f983nf893nfv903

If you don't have that field already isolated in the data you could create it via this method:

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/machine-learning/7.6/ml-configuring-transform.html#ml-configuring-transform8

1 Like

Another thing to consider - if you are fabricating a DNS exfil using a script...let the ML job first run on a few days of normal data - then run your script. If your script is run at the "beginning" of the data that ML sees, it does not yet have "normal" figured out yet!

1 Like

Hi, @richcollier!

Thanks a lot for your great responses! You showed me some very important things I could hardly discover. I have carefully read your posts and put into practice all your indications. Using your link, I created the job (from Dev Tools Console) and now I get the subdomain field in Data Feed Preview. Indeed, for performing DNS Data exfiltration, I utilize this script, dns_exfil_random.sh, which works perfectly. It helps me to make an attack based on the domain-flux method which is largely practiced by botnets. For the times being, I do some tests and I have installed ELK + Packetbeat and run the above script on the same local machine (my laptop). That's the reason I didn't want to let the job run few days, due to the lack of resources. Below there are the pictures which show how I implemented your indications:

If I would like to let the entire job run for 2 hours (118 min. for normal data and finally, 2 min. for script), it would be OK, considering I will expand the Bucket Time to 1 hour? Could I get some anomaly results in this situation? In order to generate normal data flow I use nslookup for popular/whitelisted domains.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi - still looks like you have a problem in that the sub field doesn't contain the actual subdomain. Again, if the full domain is:

585fjaklkfjakejfjkl498f983nf893nfv903.elastic.co

then the sub should just be the value:

585fjaklkfjakejfjkl498f983nf893nfv903

my guess is that you're not passing the full domain name into the domainSplit function (you're passing the query field, but that might not be the right field. Pass whatever the name of this field is (circled in red):

1 Like

Hi @richcollier!

You were perfectly right! You are a genius! I had to change the query field to dns.question.name field and now Data Feed gets the right fields:

I let the job ran for 7 hours and a half with the above configuration (bucket span: 30 min, etc.) and afterwards, I ran the script for generating random subdomains, github. Unfortunately I am not able to get any anomalies. Should I change the bucket span to a lower period? I wouldn't like to let the job run for some days and then run the script. If you have any suggestions, please help me!

Thanks again for your extremely important advice!

Of course I'm right - I wrote the book on Elastic ML. Hahahaha. :wink:

Correct, with a 30m value of bucket_span, waiting only 7 hours yields merely 14 observations for the ML algorithms, so clearly not enough data. A few hundred buckets worth of time is what is needed to establish a decent "model" before testing for anomalies.

You certainly could cut your bucket_span down to 1m (or maybe even 30s) purely for the purposes of testing. I assume that your DNS exfil simulator will blast a bunch of requests as fast as possible, so if you can get a lot of requests into a single bucket_span, that would work.

Otherwise, you could leverage historical "normal" data and have the ML datafeed look back in time before looking at the real-time data. Not sure how much historical data you have, but you may have a few day's worth (??). Just make sure you get rid of past "tests" of the DNS exfil simulator from the data set before doing so.

1 Like

Hi @richcollier!

Thanks again for your precious advice! :slight_smile: I have created a new job with a bucket_span of 30s and I used a Datafeed of 7 hours (the period with normal data before starting the script, as I said in the previous post). For this period of time and the bucket_span configuration I got bucket-count: 778. The 7 hours data is selected from yesterday.

Today, I started the Datafeed from now to real-time and I ran the script. I got bucket-count: 2699 in just max. 5 minutes the script ran. Quite strange, I think it also took all the data with no gap in time, although I selected 2 different time periods (one for normal data: 7 hours and one for script: 5 min max).

Afterwards, I stopped the Datafeed and opened the Anomaly Explorer. Unfortunately, again, no amonaly detected. After starting the Datafeed, should I firstly let it make some hundreds of bucket_count (e.g. 300-400) and then run the script and finally to stop the Datafeed and check for Anomaly Detection? Here, I am still referring to a bucket_span of 30s. Please help me understand where I am wrong and what could I do in order to at least succeed in obtaining some anomaly results in my little tests.

Thanks again for the fact that you give me very important indications every time!

So, now, I think you've stumbled into a different issue with your testing. Despite having created a scenario in which you've got a lot of bucket_spans being presented to the ML models, the fact is that 90% of the buckets have no data in them:

So, in your packetbeat index you really don't have that many "normal" DNS requests. Is there a way you can get more "normal background DNS traffic" into your packetbeat index before you try your DNS exfil script?

1 Like

Hi @richcollier!

Indeed, you are always right! You are the best! :grinning: The problem was the high value of empty_bucket_count. In order to make it lower, I rapidly changed the bucket_span value to 5m and got empty_bucket_count: 187 and bucket_count: 325. This report is at least better than the previous one which was 90%. This way, I got my first results:

In order to assure "normal background DNS traffic" into my packetbeat index, I have created a script which queries at every 25 sec. for one of the domains (google.com, facebook.com, youtube.com, twitter.com, etc.). In the hours that come, I plan to increase the bucket_span value in order to get empty_bucket_count: 0. In this way, I think the ML model will be in a perfect state for detecting anomalies. I have a question: in the Counts Tab of a job, the only fields I should look for are empty_bucket_count and bucket_count? I guess the others are not so important for paying too much attention.

Thanks again for your precious replies! You are very professional!

1 Like

All of the data on the "Counts" tab (or available via the stats API) can be important for a variety of reasons - but too much to discuss now.

Best of luck and happy detecting!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.