Seems like elasticsearch is not reading my yml file

(Kenneth Mroz) #1

I am currently trying to set up two different elasticsearch nodes. I have the cluster label the same in both of the yml but node.name different. When i look at marvel it doesn't show any of these name. When I try " curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/_cluster/health?pretty=true' " it says my cluster is named elastic search. Any idea what I did wrong?

(Mark Walkom) #2

What version, what do the configs look like?

(Kenneth Mroz) #3

elasticsearc =2.1.0

yml is

---------------------------------- Cluster -----------------------------------

Use a descriptive name for your cluster:

cluster.name: dvo_elk_cluster

------------------------------------ Node ------------------------------------

Use a descriptive name for the node:

node.name: dvo_es_4

(Mark Walkom) #4

How are you starting ES?

(Kenneth Mroz) #5

init.d script

(Mark Walkom) #6

Are both these nodes on the same server?

(Kenneth Mroz) #7

no different ones

(Mark Walkom) #8

When you start ES, what does the process look like. By that I mean start ES and then do a ps -ef|grep elasticsearch, then paste that.

(Kenneth Mroz) #9

the process is running, The ELK stack works, its just the naming conventions are off.

(Mark Walkom) #10

Right, but if you post what I asked then we can be sure it's looking for the config file in the same place you edited it.

(Kenneth Mroz) #11

java -Xms10g -Xmx10g -Djava.awt. headless=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupanc yFraction=75 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djna.nosys=true -Des.path.home=/us r/share/elasticsearch -cp /usr/share/elasticsearch/lib/elasticsearch-2.1.0.jar:/ usr/share/elasticsearch/lib/* org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch start -D es.pidfile=/var/run/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.pid -Des.default.path.home=/usr/ share/elasticsearch -Des.default.path.logs=/var/logs/elasticsearch -Des.defau lt.path.data=/var/lib/elasticsearch -Des.default.path.conf=/etc/elasticsearch

(Mark Walkom) #12

And that is where you edited the elasticsearch.yml files?

(Kenneth Mroz) #13

yes it is

(Mark Walkom) #14

Weird, can you post your entire config file onto gist/pastebin/etc and link it here?

(Kenneth Mroz) #15

(Mark Walkom) #16

Ok, so the .yml file is pretty sensitive and that leading space on lines 17 and 23 are going to matter.
Remove that and you should be good.

(Kenneth Mroz) #17

thats It!! Thank you so much!

(Kenneth Mroz) #18

one last question, for both of my nodes to talk to each other, is there anything else I need to do in the yml?

(Mark Walkom) #19

Check out - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/_important_configuration_changes.html#_prefer_unicast_over_multicast

Also check out - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/_important_configuration_changes.html#_minimum_master_nodes

(Kenneth Mroz) #20

ok thank you!