`service logstash start` doesn't work

Hi,

I recently updated logstash to 2.2.4, after which sudo service logstash start doesn't work as expected.

It says logstash started but after few seconds if I check the status it says logstash is not runnig.

However, if I start logstash using sudo /opt/logstash/bin/logstash -f /etc/logstash/conf.d/ it works fine. I am not sure what went wrong. I updated all plugins and still the same issue. I even replaced the /etc/init.d/logstash with what I found in https://github.com/elastic/logstash/blob/master/pkg/logstash.sysv, didn't solve the issue.

Any pointers on this would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,
G

Check the logs in /var/log/logstash.

Hi, The logs are empty. Tailing these logs also show nothing, checked /var/log/logstash/logstash.log, /var/log/logstash/logstash.err and also /var/log/logstash/logstash.stdout

What are the file permissions of /var/log/logstash and the files you mentioned? Can the logstash user write to them?

Yes, it is owned by logstash user and it is also writable... I have also relaxed the permissions to the max

Hello,
Same problem for me... Did you find anything that could help ?

if you run it manually as the logstash user, does it work:

sudo -u logstash -s /bin/bash -i "/opt/logstash/bin/logstash -f /etc/logstash/conf.d/"

running via sudo, it runs as root, not really the same as using the service which runs it as the logstash user.