Set field as not_analyzed in Elastic Search

I have a string field in my Elastic search index.When I view it in Kibana it splits it to form multiple words, I want to prevent this from happenening.

This is the warning I get in Kibana:

Careful! The field selected contains analyzed strings. Analyzed strings are highly unique and can use a lot of memory to visualize. Values such as foo-bar will be broken into foo and bar. See Mapping Types for more information on setting this field as not_analyzed.

I use Elastic search for logging and I have a new log index created everyday which has the following mask - "log-YYYY.MM.DD".

When I run http://localhost:9200/log-*/_mapping, i get the followin output:

{"log-2016.08.22":{"mappings":{"logEvent":{"properties":{"className":{"type":"string"},"domain":{"type":"string"},"exception":{"type":"object"},"fileName":{"type":"string"},"fix":{"type":"string"},"fullInfo":{"type":"string"},"hostName":{"type":"string"},"identity":{"type":"string"},"level":{"type":"string"},"lineNumber":{"type":"string"},"loggerName":{"type":"string"},"message":{"type":"string"},"messageObject":{"properties":{"ID":{"type":"long"},"Message":{"type":"string"},"Type":{"type":"string"}}},"methodName":{"type":"string"},"properties":{"properties":{"@timestamp":{"type":"date","format":"strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis"},"log4net:HostName":{"type":"string"},"log4net:Identity":{"type":"string"},"log4net:UserName":{"type":"string"}}},"threadName":{"type":"string"},"timeStamp":{"type":"date","format":"strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis"},"userName":{"type":"string"}}}}},"log-2016.08.19":{"mappings":{"logEvent":{"properties":{"className":{"type":"string"},"domain":{"type":"string"},"exception":{"type":"object"},"fileName":{"type":"string"},"fix":{"type":"string"},"fullInfo":{"type":"string"},"hostName":{"type":"string"},"identity":{"type":"string"},"level":{"type":"string"},"lineNumber":{"type":"string"},"loggerName":{"type":"string"},"message":{"type":"string"},"messageObject":{"properties":{"ID":{"type":"long"},"Message":{"type":"string"},"Type":{"type":"string"}}},"methodName":{"type":"string"},"properties":{"properties":{"@timestamp":{"type":"date","format":"strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis"},"log4net:HostName":{"type":"string"},"log4net:Identity":{"type":"string"},"log4net:UserName":{"type":"string"}}},"threadName":{"type":"string"},"timeStamp":{"type":"date","format":"strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis"},"userName":{"type":"string"}}}}}}

My question is how can I make "Message":{"type":"string"} not analyzed for all the indexes which start with log-*?What command do I run to do this?Or how can I make ALL strings not_analyzed?Can someone please show me a step-by-step example?

no step by step example,you should re-mapping your index to renew your filed into not analyzed

Ok and how do I do this?What command do I run to re-map my index?

What version are you on?

Use an index template to define the desired mappings for new indexes. You might want to use Logstash's index template for logstash-* indexes as a starting point.

Can you give me an example?

Can you give me an example?

Example of what, exactly?

Example of a command I can execute in the browser or using CURL to make the Message field not_analyzed

curl -XPOST 'localhost:9200/myindex/_close'

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/myindex/_settings' -d '{
"analysis" : {
"analyzer":{
"content":{
"type":"custom",
"tokenizer":"whitespace"
}
}
}
}'

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-put-mapping.html

I can't use myindex it needs to be a wild card.As I've mentioned in my original post I have indexes created dynamically with the following names "log-YYYY.MM.DD" so the not_analyzed needs to be applied to all indexes starting with log- I tried taking your code and changing it to log- and log but when I paste it in the curl console it says > } is not recognized as internal or external command

1.how many index do you have now?
2.reindex the data though as it is not possible to change mapping for an existing field.

i suggent you create new index(just alter the properties "not_analyzed") ,and import the old data into the new index.

Example of a command I can execute in the browser or using CURL to make the Message field not_analyzed

See Index templates | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic for more about index templates. Here's the template used by Logstash 2.3.4: https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-output-elasticsearch/blob/v2.7.1/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-template.json See the definition of the @version for an example of how a string field can be made not_analyzed.

1)I have one at the moment and it's called - log-2016.08.22 tomorrow log-2016.08.23 will automatically be created and so on

2)How can I create a new index???My indexes are created dynamically and have have X number of properties.What I do know for a fact is that I will always have a field called Message in my index and I need some way to make this field not_analyzed for any index called log-*

Ok so I took that JSON and changed the template field to be "log-*" and I changed @version to be @Message because my field is called Message but when I copy and paste the JSON into the command prompt I get a message saying } is not recognized as an internal or external command what am I doing wrong?

How can I create a new index?

With the create index API, for example.

but when I copy and paste the JSON into the command prompt I get a message saying } is not recognized as an internal or external command

Perhaps you're not single-quoting the JSON string? See the previous example from @emperor.

I have wrapped my json in single quotes.Here is my batch file:

curl PUT /_template/template_1
'{
"template": "log-*",
"settings": {
"number_of_shards": 1
},
"mappings": {
"type1": {
"_source": {
"enabled": false
},
"properties": {
"Message": {
"type": "string",
"index": "not_analyzed"
},
"created_at": {
"type": "date",
"format": "EEE MMM dd HH:mm:ss Z YYYY"
}
}
}
}
}'

pause

When I run the batch file it still says '}' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Please follow @emperor's example. (It's -XPUT not PUT and you're missing -d. )