Shared fs backup repository credentials

Hi there,

I have read through the documentation for snapshot and restore, but have encountered the following error when I have my path.repo pointing to "\\SERVER\share" or even to a mapped drive ("U:\backups") in my elasticsearch.yml. This share requires credentials to authenticate. How do I pass these credentials along in order to be able to access the mapped drive?

Elasticsearch version: 6.2.2
Desired repository type: fs
path.repo=["U:\backups","\\SERVER\share"]

[2018-04-13T15:34:04,061][ERROR][o.e.b.Bootstrap ] Exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to access 'path.repo' (U:\ElasticsearchBackupService)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.FilePermissionUtils.addDirectoryPath(FilePermissionUtils.java:70) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.addFilePermissions(Security.java:323) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.createPermissions(Security.java:262) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.configure(Security.java:123) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:208) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:323) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:121) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:112) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) [elasticsearch-cli-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) [elasticsearch-cli-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:85) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
Caused by: java.nio.file.FileSystemException: U:\ElasticsearchBackupService: Unable to determine if root directory exists
at java.nio.file.Files.createDirectories(Files.java:756) ~[?:1.8.0_161]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.ensureDirectoryExists(Security.java:421) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.FilePermissionUtils.addDirectoryPath(FilePermissionUtils.java:68) ~[elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
... 12 more

You normally do that on the OS Level when you mount your drive.
Elasticsearch should just be able to read and write from/to the dir.

Elasticsearch has not been able to write to the mounted drive, even after just authenticating. Is it perhaps because I am using different credentials for the drive? (other than the signed-in user)

Is it perhaps because I am using different credentials for the drive?

Probably. The user who is running elasticsearch must have write access to the shared drive.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.