Show top 100 most occured errors from log

FYI: I'm new to using the ELK stack.

I want to have more (easier) insight into the apache error log data my servers are producing. My plan is to create dashboards that will show me the information I need. One of the most important things I want to know is: what is the most common error in my application for a period of X hours.

So I created a test environment using elasticsearch, logstash and filebeat. I have data coming in from a test application. This data is coming from a apache error log that is send to logstash using filebeat and the GROK extension.

I need some hints on how to create such top 100 error, I assume I have to do some kind of aggregation on the message field. But is this something I need to implement into the logstash or filebeat config or just in the Kibana interface when creating a dashboard?

Any advice to get me started would be appreciated

A simple representation of the output I would like to have in my dashboard:

#      Count:                   Error:

1      400                       'Unable to call undefined function testx'
2      20                        'Var X cannot be NULL'
...    ...                      ....

Hi and welcome to our community!

You can certainly do this in Kibana, here's a similar case showing e.g. top referer in Kibana Lens

Similar stuff you can do with error messages. Takes 2 few clicks to build such a table there. Dragging the fields to the panel, choosing Data Table as Visualization, ready.

Best,
Matthias

1 Like

One thing that's important is that you need to be able to aggregate on the field. Typically message fields are indexed as full text, but you will need to use a keyword field if you want to aggregate. There is more detail about this in the Elasticsearch text field docs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.