Snapshot creation to s3 is failing with unknown field name min_version

Hi,
I created a s3 repository and verified that its getting connected by verify repository.
Verification status : Connected
However, when I try to put a snapshot, its throwing parse exception.

PUT /_snapshot/elk-snapshot/snapshot_1?wait_for_completion=true

{
"error": {
"root_cause": [
{
"type": "parse_exception",
"reason": "unknown field name [min_version]"
}
],
"type": "parse_exception",
"reason": "unknown field name [min_version]"
},
"status": 400
}

Seems to be a bug with elasticsearch-7.2.0, The exact same steps working just fine with elasticsearch-7.6.0.

Currently I am locked up in a loop with a scenario, where I need to upgrade my elasticsearch-7.2.0 to elasticsearch-7.6.0 to use the feature of auto snapshotting to s3, and I need to post atleast one snapshot to s3 first to try upgrading the cluster to 7.6.0, as the upgradation process is risky.

I already bought a platinum license, any suggestion regarding the way to move forward is highly appreciated.

Hi @Sai_Birada

The problem you're seeing is due to the fact that you are trying to create a snapshot from a 7.2 cluster into a repository that has already been written (snapshot-create or -delete) to by a 7.6 cluster. The 7.6 cluster will have upgraded the repository metadata to a format only understood by 7.6+ because it didn't find any pre 7.6 snapshots in the repo.

You will have to create the snapshot from the 7.2 cluster to a fresh repository (fresh path in S3) that has not yet been touched by 7.6.

Thans @Armin_Braun, That info helps a lot. So all I need to do is create a fresh repo, backup the data there, and proceed with the cluster upgrade.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.