{"statusCode":503,"error":"Service Unavailable","message":"License is not available."}

I recently configured https for kibana running in three different environments. One of them works fine while the other two have issue as mentioned below -
1 - {"statusCode":503,"error":"Service Unavailable","message":"License is not available."} I get this error when i try to browse kibana.
2 - "Kibana server is not ready yet" I get this error for the third instance of kibana.

Not sure what is wrong as i have same configuration for all the three instances. Please some one help here it is a bit urgent. Thanks!

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

Please share your Kibana log.

This is for the 1st issue -

'{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-11-17T08:57:43+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":7,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"security_exception","reason":"unable to authenticate user [elastic] for REST request [/_xpack?accept_enterprise=true]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}}],"type":"security_exception","reason":"unable to authenticate user [elastic] for REST request [/_xpack?accept_enterprise=true]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}},"status":401} error"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-11-17T08:57:45+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":7,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch due to {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"security_exception","reason":"unable to authenticate user [elastic] for REST request [/_xpack?accept_enterprise=true]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}}],"type":"security_exception","reason":"unable to authenticate user [elastic] for REST request [/_xpack?accept_enterprise=true]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}},"status":401} error"}'

logs for 2nd issue - "Kibana server is not ready yet"

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-11-17T09:03:24Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":1,"message":"License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [elastic], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"failed to authenticate user [elastic]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}}],\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"failed to authenticate user [elastic]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}},\"status\":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-11-17T09:03:26Z","tags":["warning","task_manager"],"pid":1,"message":"PollError [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [elastic], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } }"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-11-17T09:03:29Z","tags":["warning","task_manager"],"pid":1,"message":"PollError [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [elastic], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } }"}

Both of these are the same thing, so you need to check your auth details.

I wouldn't be using the elastic user for Kibana anyway, as that's the equivalent of using root.

Do you have any article or some reference which I can use to look into it? I am sorry, I am new to these configurations.

Take a look at Setting passwords for native and built-in users | Elasticsearch Guide [8.5] | Elastic.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.