Taking snapshot of existing data and restore it after some disaster

I am running one node which is a master node it receives data/logs from data nodes. This node has some indices that are created when I install this master node on a server.

So the logs generated by master node and data nodes are stored in the form of indices that have been created by default by a configuration tool.

I will take the snapshot of all the indices. So when the master node goes down due to disk failure I will install a new master node in different server which will be having default indices created by that tool. When I perform restore operation it will give following error:

{
  "error": {
    "root_cause": [
      {
        "type": "snapshot_restore_exception",
        "reason": "[repo2:snapshot-wed25/AW9RLLj8RpeVK_U65Jqz-A] cannot restore index [owner] because an open index with same name already exists in the cluster. Either close or delete the existing index or restore the index under a different name by providing a rename pattern and replacement name"
      }

I want the indices(with same name) which I have taken as backup to merge with the Indices with same name(created by default) in new server.

Restoring a snapshot can not merge indices, so that is not possible. You might however be able to restore the snapshotted indices under different names and then merge using a custom script or application.

1 Like

Ok I will try this.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.