This Discourse does not appear in Google?

(André Hänsel) #1

This Discourse seems to be a very valuable resource, but it doesn't seem to be indexed in Google at all. (I only got to know about it because it was linked somewhere on Github I think.) I can't even find it by searching for literally quoted snippets.

Is anyone looking into this problem?

(Mark Walkom) #2

Thanks for commenting on this, we're raised it internally.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Not following, I search for what you typed 34 minutes ago and I get it in Google?

Here's a screenshot of what I just did

(André Hänsel) #4

Indeed. Nevermind then, sorry for the fuss. Either I was blind or it was different two or three days ago (had this draft open since then).

(Jeff Atwood) #5

No worries, if you can come up with specific examples always happy to take a look.

But if we didn't work well with Google out of the box, we'd be.. uh, out of business :wink:

(André Hänsel) #6

I think I know what happened.

For example this search does not show Incrementing an integer field. It does, however, show http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/Incrementing-an-integer-field-td3726950.html.

Since I was looking explicitly for discuss.elastic.co I didn't notice that in fact it shows the mailinglist archive page, and I guess it considers the Discourse entry a duplicate?

(Mark Walkom) #7

Ah, that's archive stuff that was pulled from the old mailing list.

Does that stuff get retro-actively indexed by Google @codinghorror?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Aha!

Looks like Google is treating this site as duplicate content, because the two pages have virtually the same content with different layout -- can you de-list all the stuff at nabble? Is that under you guys' control?

Best strategy would be to add noindex to the nabble content so it does not get picked up as duplicate by Google.

(Mark Walkom) #9

Nah, nabble is outside our control. I think they were just mirroring the old Google Groups content anyway.

I will ask the DevRel team to reach out though to see what can be done.

(system) #10