Timelion not displaying

Hello!

I'm having a little issue with kibana's (5.6.4) timelion not showing a line at certain points of my visualization.
My data looks like this:

"monitoringtable": "TD_INSBRN ",
      "counter_entries": 24,
      "timestamp": "2018-01-15T07:19:58.568Z"

"counter_entries": 19,
      "timestamp": "2018-01-15T07:24:59.488Z"

"counter_entries": 30,
      "timestamp": "2018-01-15T07:30:00.156Z"

"counter_entries": 32,
      "timestamp": "2018-01-15T07:35:00.890Z"

(note: i am aware that time is UTC and i'm UTC+2)

and I've created a timelion graph that displays the max value for a custom interval of 5m (blue line).

The issue here is that when i put the mouse over the period, i get a value of 30 but there is no line being displayed! I'm guessing the issue here is that at between the two values of 7:24:59.448 and 7:30:00.156, kibana counts it as 6 minute interval instead of 5, but then why would a value be displayed and no line?

also if it takes a 5 minute interval, what is the window of this 5 min? i.e. 7:30-7:35, 7:35-7:40? or is it dynamically calculated based on the values?

Thank you,
Robert

when i put the mouse over the period, i get a value of 30 but there is no line being displayed!

The lines in the default chart require two points, one for the start and one for the end of each line segment. If you have data in the 9:26-9:28 bucket, but none in the 9:28-9:30 bucket, then timelion can't draw a line. Thankfully, timelion has lots of options for you:

1. use the .points() function to render a dot on each measurement, which will show single data points
  2. use the .fit() function to tell timelion that it should invent values when some are missing using a mode
  3. switch to bars with the .bars() function, which will only show individual values and let you imagine the line (but not require continuous data)

Each of these options has trade offs and the right one to use is kind of up to you, so I'd experiment and see what works!

Time buckets will use nice values like 7:30-7:35 when you ask for a 5 minute interval, it won't try to create 5 minute buckets that contain as much of your data as possible. Sounds like a cool feature, but would make it much harder to compare charts on different data with each other if the time ranges didn't match up.

Hi Spalger,

Sorry for the late reply, i ended up using .fit(mode=nearest) as it gets the closest value (from the previous bucket it seems) and displays what i need.

Thanks for the help! i'm loving Elastic products more and more every day :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.