Topbeat does not start for Windows server 2008 R2 Sp1

I am trying to start Topbeat (topbeat-1.0.0-windows) on Windows server 2008 R2 Sp1 and I get this error

PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> Start-Service topbeat
Start-Service : Service 'topbeat (topbeat)' cannot be started due to the following error: Cannot start service topbeat
on computer '.'.
At line:1 char:14

• Start-Service <<<< topbeat
    • CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],
      ServiceCommandException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

Starting it from Services I get

Any ideas?

Regards,
Rishi

Can you test your configuration file and start Topbeat manually to see if any errors are returned.

# Test the configuration file.
PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> .\topbeat.exe -c topbeat.yml -configtest
# Start Topbeat in the foreground and see if there are any errors.
PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> .\topbeat.exe -c topbeat.yml -e -v -d "*"

PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> dir

Directory: C:\Program Files\Topbeat

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name

d---- 12/16/2015 11:01 AM log
-a--- 11/24/2015 7:21 PM 428 install-service-topbeat.ps1
-a--- 11/24/2015 7:21 PM 5714649 topbeat.exe
-a--- 11/24/2015 7:21 PM 2493 topbeat.template.json
-a--- 12/16/2015 11:02 AM 8752 topbeat.yml
-a--- 11/24/2015 7:21 PM 182 uninstall-service-topbeat.ps1

PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> topbeat.exe -c topbeat.yaml -configtest
The term 'topbeat.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:12

• topbeat.exe <<<< -c topbeat.yaml -configtest
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (topbeat.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: The command topbeat.exe was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell doesn't load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type ".\topbeat.exe". See "get-help about_Command_Precedence" for more details.

PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> .\topbeat.exe -c topbeat.yaml -configtest
Loading config file error: Failed to read topbeat.yaml: open topbeat.yaml: The system cannot find the file specified.. Exiting.

The spelling was wrong. Use yml
PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> .\topbeat.exe -c topbeat.yml -configtest

It worked on Command line
PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat> .\topbeat.exe -c topbeat.yml -e -v -d "*"
2015/12/17 05:15:44.108088 beat.go:97: DBG Initializing output plugins
2015/12/17 05:15:44.108088 geolite.go:24: INFO GeoIP disabled: No paths were set under output.geoip.paths
2015/12/17 05:15:44.108088 client.go:244: DBG ES Ping(url=http://10.42.33.133:9200, timeout=1m30s)
PS C:\Program Files\Topbeat>

Can you try version 1.0.1 that was released today. There was a change to the installation powershell script.

1 Like

I'm trying to start topbeat-1.2.1 on Windows 10 and I'm getting the following error, kindly help.

Start-Service : Service 'topbeat (topbeat)' cannot be started due to the following error: Cannot start service topbeat
on computer '.'.
At line:1 char:1

• Start-Service topbeat
  •   + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],
     ServiceCommandException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand

Please try the steps posted above by me.