Trial license expired

I am running elastic 7.11 and had the enterprise trial license installed. We have xpack security enabled via the elastic configs and I noticed it says when reverting to basic the security will be disabled. Does changing the license to basic change the elastic configs to disable security if we have it enabled? Do we have to restart our cluster after reverting from trial to basic?

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

What Security aspects were you using? As long as you have a native/file realm setup, you will be ok.

not sure what you mean for native/file realm. We have https configured for node communication and user accounts to login to kibana. Other than that, I think that is the extent that we are using security. We do not do any ldap authentication, it is local accounts for logins.

The license is expired now and everything seems to work except looking at indexs and get index or statistics data. Wasn't sure if reverting it to basic would reconfigure the elasticsearch.yml files on the host and remove the xpack.security settings.

If you are not using LDAP/AP and only using the native realm for security, then you will be fine.

Based on your description, the security features you are using are covered under the free and open basic license. You don't need to reconfigure anything in elasticsearch.yml. For more information about subscription and features, you can refer to Subscriptions | Elastic Stack Products & Support | Elastic

This is a result of expired license. To fix it, you can simply delete the expired trial license and the system will fallback to use a basic license. Use the following HTTP call to delete the license.

DELETE _license

I also suggest you upgrade to the latest version which is 7.14.1 as you get more features as well as better performance.

1 Like

Thanks, will try the DELETE _ license assume I can do that via the developer portal. As for 7.14 we are planning on upgrading to that. Just wanted to make sure changing the basic did not break our ability to ingest and search the data which is basically all we do right now.

So to be clear, here is the config from an elastic data node, If I rune the DELETE _license, I should not have any problems continuing to ingest data or login to kibana? Would i need to register for a basic license?

cluster.name: "ESC1-cl1"
node.name: "s1data-0"
path.logs: /var/log/elasticsearch
path.data: /datadisks/disk1/elasticsearch/data
discovery.seed_hosts: ["x.x.2.7","x.x.2.13","x.x.2.4"]
cluster.initial_master_nodes: ["x.x.2.7","x.x.2.13","x.x.2.4"]
node.master: false
node.data: true
network.host: x.x.2.12
node.max_local_storage_nodes: 1
node.attr.fault_domain: 0
node.attr.update_domain: 0
cluster.routing.allocation.awareness.attributes: fault_domain,update_domain
azure.client.default.endpoint_suffix: core.windows.net
xpack.license.self_generated.type: trial
xpack.security.enabled: true
bootstrap.memory_lock: true
thread_pool.search.queue_size: 50000
thread_pool.write.queue_size: 150000
indices.memory.index_buffer_size: 50%
action.destructive_requires_name: true
xpack.monitoring.enabled: false
xpack.watcher.enabled: false
xpack.ml.enabled: false

The default is a basic license, so you won't have issues.

These are terrible ideas and are likely only going to cause issues for your cluster.

What is the recommend settings for those sizes?

Leave them as defaults, as they are dynamically sized based on the node's resources.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.