Trying to index from Logstash Kubernetes pod into an Elasticsearch Docker container

On the same cloud, I have an instance of Logstash 6.6.1 running within a certain Kubernetes pod that I am trying to make it index into an Elasticsearch 8.6.1 running on a Docker container hosted on an VM with IP address 10.85.173.33.

Testing a manual indexing from my laptop was a success:

$ curl -vvk -XPOST 'https://10.85.173.33:9200/_bulk?refresh&pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -u my_user:my_pass --data-binary "@my_doc.json"
Note: Unnecessary use of -X or --request, POST is already inferred.
* processing: https://10.85.173.33:9200/_bulk?refresh&pretty
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0*   Trying 10.85.173.33:9200...
* Connected to 10.85.173.33 (10.85.173.33) port 9200
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
* schannel: using IP address, SNI is not supported by OS.
* using HTTP/1.x
* Server auth using Basic with user 'my_user'
> POST /_bulk?refresh&pretty HTTP/1.1
> Host: 10.85.173.33:9200
> Authorization: Basic ZWxhc3RpYzppdGVyZ28yMDIz
> User-Agent: curl/8.2.1
> Accept: */*
> Content-Type: application/json
> Content-Length: 1428
>
} [1428 bytes data]
* schannel: remote party requests renegotiation
* schannel: renegotiating SSL/TLS connection
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection renegotiated
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< X-elastic-product: Elasticsearch
< content-type: application/json
< content-length: 450
<
{ [450 bytes data]
100  1878  100   450  100  1428   1058   3359 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  4429{
  "took" : 77,
  "errors" : false,
  "items" : [
    {
      "index" : {
        "_index" : "logstash-2024.01.29",
        "_id" : "8881-IwBnfFXgAFtvWKK",
        "_version" : 1,
        "result" : "created",
        "forced_refresh" : true,
        "_shards" : {
          "total" : 1,
          "successful" : 1,
          "failed" : 0
        },
        "_seq_no" : 58552,
        "_primary_term" : 1,
        "status" : 201
      }
    }
  ]
}

* Connection #0 to host 10.85.173.33 left intact

I am trying with the following pipeline output output configuration:

output {
        elasticsearch {
            document_id => "%{document_id}"
            hosts => ["https://10.85.173.33:9200"]
            user => "my_user"
            password => "my_pass"
            ssl => true
            ssl_certificate_verification => false
            index => "logstash-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
            manage_template => true
            template => "/usr/share/logstash/templates/logstash.json"
            template_name => "logstash"
            template_overwrite => true
            retry_on_conflict => 5
            cacert => "/usr/share/logstash/config/ca.crt"
        }
        stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Nothing gets to Elasticsearch and no information is logged.
The Logstash log keeps on outputting:

[2024-01-29T12:54:19,828][ERROR][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Encountered a retryable error. Will Retry with exponential backoff {:code=>400, :url=>"https://10.85.173.33:9200/_bulk"}

I appreciate any hint of how can I make this work.

Per elasticsearch output retry policy 400 errors are not retriable and the event will be sent to dead-letter queue if enabled and dismissed

The curl command with @my_doc.json works means that logstash is not sending the same bulk definition as this file content

To find out what document data is rejected to elasticsearch ; you will need to either :

• enable dead letter queue to check why the event is rejected by elasticsearch
  • potentially easier : set elasticsearch output plugin log level in debug log level - this should contain the document and likely the response body of the 400 responses
  • another option to check how the events are sent to the output plugin is to add a stdout or file output plugin
1 Like

Thanks for suggestions, Julien. Indeed, Logstash 6.6.1 seems to add metadata fields that Elasticsearch 8.6.1 do not like.

[2024-01-30T15:59:06,766][ERROR][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Encountered a retryable error. Will Retry with exponential backoff {:code=>400, :url=>"https://10.85.173.33:9200/_bulk", :body=>"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"illegal_argument_exception\",\"reason\":\"Action/metadata line [1] contains an unknown parameter [_type]\"}],\"type\":\"illegal_argument_exception\",\"reason\":\"Action/metadata line [1] contains an unknown parameter [_type]\"},\"status\":400}"}

The question now is how do I get rid of that '_type' field, since mutate filter don't seem to work.

The question now is how do I get rid of that '_type' field, since mutate filter don't seem to work.

The value is added by the elasticsearch output plugin which run after all filters so this is not directly related to logstash version (using logstash 6.6.1 along with elasticsearch 8.x is not recommended/supported generally - you should be using latest logstash version in same major release per compatibility matrix so currently that would be logstash 8.12.0 which will happen to also include more recent plugin versions which will really be what will solve your issue)
Current elasticsearch output plugin version documentation : Elasticsearch output plugin | Logstash Reference [8.12] | Elastic -> for elasticsearch clusters 8.x: no value will be used;
I assume you never updated elasticsearch output plugin so the behaviour is fully expected if you look at the same doc released at time of 6.6.0 - Elasticsearch output plugin | Logstash Reference [6.6] | Elastic -> for elasticsearch clusters 6.x and above: the value of doc will be used

Also check out how to update logstash plugins to test to latest elasticsearch ouptut plugin if you need logstash 6.6 for any reason : Working with plugins | Logstash Reference [6.6] | Elastic (you might still need to update the logstash core to be able to update some of the plugin to latest release depending on each plugin dependencies)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.