Unable to communicate with Elasticseach

Hi,

I'm a newcomer in "Elastic World" so maybe my question is really stupid, but after few hours with my freind Google, I did not found the answer.

I start with a brand new installation, following each part of documentation (Installing the Elastic Stack | Elastic Installation and Upgrade Guide [8.11] | Elastic)
So I've an elasticsearch + x-pack who is working (I can connect to http://localhost:9200/), a Kibana + x-pack who is working (I can connect to http://localhost:5601) and an logstash who is working (I can send to it apache logs using filebeat).

If I'm using this conf file, I can see my logs perfectly parsed in my cmd windows (yes, all installations are on Windows server) :

input {     
	beats 
	{
        port => "5044"
    } 
}
filter {
    grok {
        match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}
    }
    geoip {
        source => "clientip"
    }
}
output {
	stdout { codec => rubydebug }
} 

Next step, I add an output to elasticsearch :

input {     
	beats 
	{
        port => "5044"
    } 
}
filter {
    grok {
    }
    geoip {
        source => "clientip"
    }
}
output {
    elasticsearch {
        hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]
    }
}

At this point, I have this error message :

10:16:37.094 [Ruby-0-Thread-7: C:/logstash-5.1.1/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-output-elasticsearch-5.4.0-java/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch/http_client/pool.rb:188] WARN logstash.outputs.elasticsearch - Attempted to resurrect connection to dead ES instance, but got an error. {:url=>#URI::HTTP:0xc38ff90URL:http://localhost:9200, :error_type=>LogStash::Outputs::Elasticsearch::HttpClient::Pool::BadResponseCodeError, :error=>"Got response code '401' contact Elasticsearch at URL 'http://localhost:9200/'"}

According to this topic and this documention, I have created a user in Kibana and I integrate authentification informations in my conf file :

input {
    beats {
        port => "5044"
    }
    user => logstash_internal
    password => password1
}
# The filter part of this file is commented out to indicate that it is
# optional.
filter {
    grok {
    }
    geoip {
        source => "clientip"
    }
    password => password1
}
output {
    elasticsearch {
        hosts => [ "127.0.0.1:9200" ] 
    }
    password => password1
} 

But unfortunatly, and this is the object of my question, now I have this error message :

Could not find log4j2 configuration at path /logstash-5.1.1/config/log4j2.properties. Using default config which logs to console10:47:12.325 [LogStash::Runner] ERROR logstash.agent - fetched an invalid config {:config=>"input { \n\tbeats \n\t{\n port => "5044"\n } \n user => logstash_internal\n password => password1\n}\nfilter {\n grok {\n match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}\n }\n geoip {\n source => "clientip"\n }\n user => logstash_internal\n password => changeme}\noutput {\n elasticsearch {\n hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]\n }\n\tstdout { codec => rubydebug }\n user => logstash_internal\n password => password1\n}\n", :reason=>"Expected one of #, { at line 6, column 10 (byte 64) after input { \n\tbeats \n\t{\n port => "5044"\n } \n user "}

I tried with double and simple quotes for user and password values, without user/password information in input and filter (I don't understand why they must be there), each time I've got the same error message...

So, without user informations, my logstash can not speak with elasticsearch, and with informations... it still can not :frowning:

Is anybody can help me to understand where is the mistake ?

you only need to place the credentials on the elasticsearch output block:

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => [ "127.0.0.1:9200" ] 
    password => password1
  }
}

you should also remove the credentials from the input section

1 Like

Thank you for your answer jsvd.

I tried this conf, and the result is the same. The error log just point the line where "user =>" appears the first time.

can you post your configuration again? (the modified one)

Of course,

This is the last one tested :

input {     
	beats 
	{
        port => "5044"
    } 
}
filter {
    grok {
    }
    geoip {
        source => "clientip"
    }
output {
    elasticsearch {
    }
    password => changeme
} 

And the error log :

C:\logstash-5.1.1\bin>logstash -f c:\logstash-5.1.1\logstash-simple.conf
Could not find log4j2 configuration at path /logstash-5.1.1/config/log4j2.properties. Using default config which logs to console11:20:55.163 [LogStash::Runner] ERROR ogstash.agent - fetched an invalid config {:config=>"input { \n\tbeats \n\t{\n port => "5044"\n } \n}\nfilter {\n grok {\n match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}\n }\n geoip {\n source => "clientip"\n }\noutput {\n elasticsearch {\n hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]\n }\n tstdout { codec => rubydebug }\n user => logstash_internal\n password => changeme\n}\n", :reason=>"Expected one of #, => at line 15, column 19 (byte 213) after filter {\n grok {\n match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}\n }\n geoip {\n source => "clientip"\n }\noutput {\n elasticsearch "}

the credentials are still outside of the elasticsearch output block. The user and password are specific to elasticsearch, not the output {} block.

So instead of

output {
    elasticsearch {
    }
    password => changeme
}

you need:

output {
  elasticsearch {
    password => changeme 
  }
}
1 Like

I've already tested this solution with same result.

I just tried again, here are conf en log :

input {     
	beats 
	{
        port => "5044"
    } 
}
filter {
    grok {
    }
    geoip {
        source => "clientip"
    }
output {
    elasticsearch {
        password => changeme    
    }
} 

11:27:53.712 [LogStash::Runner] ERROR logstash.agent - fetched an invalid config {:config=>"input { \n\tbeats \n\t{\n port => "5044"\n } \n}\nfilter {\n grok {\n match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}\n }\n geoip {\n source => "clientip"\n }\noutput {\n elasticsearch {\n hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]\n user => logstash_internal\n password => changeme \n }\n stdout { codec => rubydebug}\n}\n", :reason=>"Expected one of #, => at line 15, column 19 (byte 213) afterfilter {\n grok {\n match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}"}\n }\n geoip {\n source => "clientip"\n }\noutput {\n elasticsearch "}

your filter { section isn't properly closed, missing a }

Damned !

The bracket error is "new" due to several copy/paste for tests, I think my original mistake was in the localisation of user / password outside the elasticseach brackets.

Thank's a lot !
I no more have the crendetial error !

Now, I have to solve the new one "undefined method" error, but I will search for the solution :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.