Unable to create index pattern in Kibana from Index with Template Applied

I have a really strange issue that I have not seen within Kibana before. I created index templates for my apache log files, which I have parsing with FileBeat/Logstash.

When the templates are in Elastic and I dump in the log data. The indexes are created and are using the template, but I cannot create an index pattern in Kibana to see the indexes. Kibana does not see the indexes but I see them in elastic from the "Dev Tools"

if I dump the data in elastic, with "no" templates, then they show up in "Index Patterns" and I can create the pattern and see the data in Kibana.

Again, using templates, I do not see the indexes under "Index Patterns" within Kibana, but the indexes are in Elastic.

Any Ideas?

little addition. Looks like the index is being made, but nothing is going into it. Checking the Stats on the index with the template applied is showing "index_total" as 0, but another copy of the index that is not using the template shows "index_total" as 1006.

Looks like the Template is a bit strict and this would put this situation into the ElastisSearch area and not Kibana.

I'll work on the template some more.. Thank you

Interesting.
This little handy trick lets you know if you have data in your elasticsearch:

http://localhost:9200/_cat/indices

Hope you get to sort it out.

Cheers,
Bhavya

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.