Unable to create index pattern in Kibana from Index with Template Applied

(Michael P. Schneider) #1

I have a really strange issue that I have not seen within Kibana before. I created index templates for my apache log files, which I have parsing with FileBeat/Logstash.

When the templates are in Elastic and I dump in the log data. The indexes are created and are using the template, but I cannot create an index pattern in Kibana to see the indexes. Kibana does not see the indexes but I see them in elastic from the "Dev Tools"

if I dump the data in elastic, with "no" templates, then they show up in "Index Patterns" and I can create the pattern and see the data in Kibana.

Again, using templates, I do not see the indexes under "Index Patterns" within Kibana, but the indexes are in Elastic.

Any Ideas?

(Michael P. Schneider) #2

little addition. Looks like the index is being made, but nothing is going into it. Checking the Stats on the index with the template applied is showing "index_total" as 0, but another copy of the index that is not using the template shows "index_total" as 1006.

Looks like the Template is a bit strict and this would put this situation into the ElastisSearch area and not Kibana.

I'll work on the template some more.. Thank you

(Bhavya R M) #3

Interesting.
This little handy trick lets you know if you have data in your elasticsearch:

http://localhost:9200/_cat/indices

Hope you get to sort it out.

Cheers,
Bhavya

(system) #4

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.