I am having some trouble mapping Filebeat in Kibana after doing a clean install to 5.4.0. I have followed the Filebeat guide and have attempted to get it working for a while with no success. I have added a screenshot below which shows the notification error I get when attempting to map Filebeat. You can see by the image, filebeat has been installed (and is running as a service) and is available as an indexing pattern, but this is not the case according to the error. Could someone please shed some light on this and how I go about fixing this?
It is worth noting that the ES, Kibana and beats installation is on an offline Windows Server 2012 R2 VM and therefore I needed to import the beats dashboard offline using the -file command. Also, I have changed all the necessary fields in the filebeat.yml to the IP address of ES, rather than using localhost, and have tested this config file which was ok.
I would really appreciate some assistance on this as I have been pulling the little hair I have left out. Thanks in advanced. Happy to provide more information if necessary.
What are the exact steps that lead you to that screenshot?
I can see the index created on the left so I don't fully understand the error
The steps I took are as follows:
- Ran PowerShell.exe -ExecutionPolicy UnRestricted -File .\install-service-filebeat.ps1
- in the filebeat.yml and filebeat.full.yml files, I changed output.elasticsearch hosts ["localhost:9200"] to ["host IP address:9200"]. I'm not going through logstash so I left that part unchanged.
- I'm attempting to use the file.template.json file, so I have left this unchanged.
- Started the service by Start-Service filebeat which I confirm starts successfully.
- Because this VM is offline and there is no way it could go online, I downloaded beats-dashboards-5.4.0.zip and put it within the following directory: c:\ELK-Stack\filebeat\scripts\ folder.
- I run the following command: .\scripts\import_dashboards -file c:\ELK-Stack\filebeat\scripts\beats-dashboards-5.4.0.zip -es http://ip of my ES host:9200
- An extract of the above results are in the image below:
- Restart the ES, Kibana and filebeat services.
- Open Kibana and wait for around 2 minutes and then go into management.
- Try to refresh filebeats mapping and get the error as seen in my first post.
I hope this answers your question in regards to the steps I took. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?
Worth pointing out that Winlogbeat and packetbeat are working well.
Hope you or someone else can assist!
Just a quick update on this issue.
Despite the error, I am still able to send filebeat logs to the ES host and view them in Kibana as intended. The problem remains that I am still unable to modify or refresh the filebeat index pattern in Kibana due to this notification error. Ideally I would still like to get an insight on what is causing this problem and attempt to fix it. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.