"Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes. "

Trying to set up a small barebones (for now) 3 node cluster in Centos 7. Cluster appears to be up, but I can't connect kibana to it. I have installed kibana on one of the Elasticsearch nodes. Elasticsearch is running version 7.10.2
The service starts, but when I check the kibana logs, I see:

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-04-20T18:56:27+00:00","tags":["error","Elasticsearch-service"],"pid":22270,"message":"Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes. The client noticed that the server is not a supported distribution of Elasticsearch"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-04-20T18:56:27+00:00","tags":["fatal","root"],"pid":22270,"message":"ProductNotSupportedError: The client noticed that the server is not a supported distribution of Elasticsearch\n at EventEmitter. (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/Elasticsearch/lib/Transport.js:478:34)\n at Object.onceWrapper (node:events:510:26)\n at EventEmitter.emit (node:events:390:28)\n at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/Elasticsearch/lib/Transport.js:611:40\n at onBody (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/Elasticsearch/lib/Transport.js:376:9)\n at IncomingMessage.onEnd (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/@elastic/Elasticsearch/lib/Transport.js:291:11)\n at IncomingMessage.emit (node:events:402:35)\n at endReadableNT (node:internal/streams/readable:1343:12)\n at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:83:21) {\n meta: {\n body: null,\n statusCode: null,\n headers: null,\n meta: {\n context: null,\n request: [Object],\n name: 'Elasticsearch-js',\n connection: null,\n attempts: 0,\n aborted: false\n }\n }\n}"}

I can telnet on port 9300 between the nodes.

There isn't much in kibana.yml so far:

server.port: 5601
server.host: 10.X.X.X
Elasticsearch.hosts: ["http://10.X.X.X:9200"]

if it helps, here are the contents of Elasticsearch.yml:

cluster.name: aapc-prod-elastic
node.name: ip-10-X-X-X.aapc.com
path.data: /var/lib/Elasticsearch
path.logs: /var/log/Elasticsearch
network.host: 10.X.X.X
transport.port: 9300
discovery.seed_hosts: ["10.X.X.X", "10.X.X.Y", "10.X.X.Z"]
cluster.initial_master_nodes: ["10.X.X.X" , "10.X.X.Y"]

Any thoughts on where I've gone wrong setting this up?

Which client dependency & version are you using?

Do you have any third party plugins installed?

I installed kibana-7.17.1-1.x86_64 from Elasticsearch.repo. Is that what you're asking?

Nothing non-standard has been installed.

Kibana 7.17 requires Elasticsearch 7.17 and will not work with Elasticsearch 7.10.2.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.